VMware Communities
eranj1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Accessing linux virtual server via hostname

Hi,

I'm using Fusion professional 6.0.2 and I have two issues:

1. I installed a CentOS 6.5 virtual server and another one, Openfiler.

I can't access ssh to the machines via hostname, nor ping it by hostname. It is only possible via IP.

I don't want to change my hosts file, or the virtual server hosts file.

The virtual server network is configured to bridged mode. I'm using a home router with DHCP enabled.

I read that I need to enable "DHCP_HOSTNAME" in the DHCP client of the virtual server: Configuring Linux Static DHCP Clients by Sending Host Name

I tried and now I see the hostname in the DHCP table in the router, but It still does not work.

If I don't enable "send-hostname", I don't even see the hostname in the DHCP table.

*This issue also occurred in VMware ESXI 5.5 free VM, in which I installed linux VM.

2. The VMs' resolution is very low, and VMware Fusion doesn't automatically choose a higher resolution, even after the installation of the integration tools.

I restarted the VMs after the integration tools installation.

Please assist.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eranj1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1.It seems that the solution is the following:

DNSMasq is required: DNSMasq as DHCP server - DD-WRT Wiki

I found out that the Linux VMs needs to be configured to send hostname to the DHCP server: Configuring Linux Static DHCP Clients by Sending Host Name

* The long answer: networking - How to make a machine accessible from the LAN using its hostname - Unix & Linux Sta...

2. It looks something like 640 x 480 I guess.

Currently I have a workaround: SSH to the VM.

edit: found the solution: #1 Linux: Changing Console Mode Resolution on the GRUB - YouTube

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
eranj1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please help!

0 Kudos
dolphinzhang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I get the same problem Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi eranj1,

re 1.

Even if you set via DHCP that your dhcp client needs to set a hostname then the hostname still isn't propagated in your local DNS resolver.

So in your modem you somehow have to set that OR set a DNS override.

re 2.

Define "really low" what you call really low I might call high. What screen resolution are you getting?

Have you tried changing it into a higher guest resolution using the centOS tools?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
eranj1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1.It seems that the solution is the following:

DNSMasq is required: DNSMasq as DHCP server - DD-WRT Wiki

I found out that the Linux VMs needs to be configured to send hostname to the DHCP server: Configuring Linux Static DHCP Clients by Sending Host Name

* The long answer: networking - How to make a machine accessible from the LAN using its hostname - Unix & Linux Sta...

2. It looks something like 640 x 480 I guess.

Currently I have a workaround: SSH to the VM.

edit: found the solution: #1 Linux: Changing Console Mode Resolution on the GRUB - YouTube

0 Kudos