VMware Communities
franybill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

About ready to give up

I have had continual problems running Fusion (Ver. 2.1) on my MacBook Pro, OS 10.5.6. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, updated. I get the following messages:

1. ³Cannot open the disk '/Users/frandeco/Library/Application

Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/Boot Camp

partition.vmwarevm/Boot Camp partition.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it

depends on. Reason: The partition table on the physical disk has changed

since the disk was created. Remove the physical disk from the virtual

machine, then add it again.²

(What does this mean? What physical disk is it referring to?)

2. operating system not found

(this on a black DOS screen)

3. It appears that other virtual machines are running.

(not that I'm aware of.)

4. No bootable device was detected.

The Snapshot shows that my Windows XP is running, but Fusion can't access it - "operating system not found" or #1, above.

I have had no real assistance from Smith Micro despite numerous emails, so am turning to you. The program worked sporadically when i first installed it last summer. Since then I have had my hard drive replaced, and Windows XP reinstalled by the tech people here. Could the source of the problem be the new HD or the reinstall of the Windows? If so, how do I find out? What can I do to fix it? I am at my wit's end, and Smith Micro is offering to refund my purchase price (less $10.99). I'd still like to use the program if at all possible, but I'm not a technical person and don't have the time or energy to put hours into figuring this out. Hoping for some words of wisdom from you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Note: These steps assume you have a Apple Default install of Windows and a Default VMware Fusion Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine and if you have modified the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine to add additional Hard Drives either Virtual or RAW Disk then do not use these directions unless you backup the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine Package first.

1. If Fusion is open then close it.

2. In a Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) copy and paste the following command, as is, and then press Enter and it will remove the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine meta data. Note: This does not effect the Boot Camp partition install of Windows. Also be sure you copy the entire command line below from "rm" at the beginning to the " (quote) after the p in Camp. Smiley Happy

rm -dfr "/Users/$/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp"

3. Start Fusion (/Applications/VMware Fusion.app) and select Boot Camp partition on the Virtual Machine Library window and then click the Run button.

Notes: Next, an Authenticate dialog box appears. "VMware Fusion requires that you type your password." Enter your Name and Password then click OK. (This is necessary to unmount the Boot Camp partition for Fusion to have direct access to it.)

Next, one should see a Boot Camp partition message stating "VMware Fusion is preparing your Boot Camp partition to run as a virtual machine. This may take a few minutes. This will happen once."

When the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine boots for the first time after this VMware Tools may want to or will install/update and reboot the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Note: These steps assume you have a Apple Default install of Windows and a Default VMware Fusion Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine and if you have modified the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine to add additional Hard Drives either Virtual or RAW Disk then do not use these directions unless you backup the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine Package first.

1. If Fusion is open then close it.

2. In a Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) copy and paste the following command, as is, and then press Enter and it will remove the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine meta data. Note: This does not effect the Boot Camp partition install of Windows. Also be sure you copy the entire command line below from "rm" at the beginning to the " (quote) after the p in Camp. Smiley Happy

rm -dfr "/Users/$/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp"

3. Start Fusion (/Applications/VMware Fusion.app) and select Boot Camp partition on the Virtual Machine Library window and then click the Run button.

Notes: Next, an Authenticate dialog box appears. "VMware Fusion requires that you type your password." Enter your Name and Password then click OK. (This is necessary to unmount the Boot Camp partition for Fusion to have direct access to it.)

Next, one should see a Boot Camp partition message stating "VMware Fusion is preparing your Boot Camp partition to run as a virtual machine. This may take a few minutes. This will happen once."

When the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine boots for the first time after this VMware Tools may want to or will install/update and reboot the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
franybill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't thank you enough for solving this problem for me. After struggling with it, it was refreshing to get a straight answer!

I seem to have two virtual machines running - one a Bootcamp Partition and the other my Windows XP Home Edition. There was a third, but I deleted it.

What should I do with the two remaining VMs - I assume I want to be running the Windows VM, so I can suspend rather than power off?

0 Kudos
franybill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

One more question: how can I get the Windows XP VM to work, rather than the Bootcamp Partition? In my virtual machine library, both are shown. But the XP won't open - DOS screen says "no operating system found."

I'd like to be running from the Windows alias.

Thanks.

Fran

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

One more question: how can I get the Windows XP VM to work, rather than the Bootcamp Partition? In my virtual machine library, both are shown. But the XP won't open - DOS screen says "no operating system found."

I'd like to be running from the Windows alias.

What do you mean by "I'd like to be running from the Windows alias"? BTW I know what an alias is however that statement has no context.

As far as "But the XP won't open - DOS screen says "no operating system found."" have you already actually installed Windows XP as normal file based Fusion Virtual Machine or are you trying to and you can't get it to install?

It might be more helpful for you to rephrase your questions and be a bit more explicit and specific about what you're asking and maybe a look at as a guideline would be helpful.

0 Kudos
franybill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry I used the wrong terminology. You helped me recently solve a problem

and got me up and running using the Bootcamp Partition. My Virtual Machine

Library shows both the Bootcamp Partition (running) and Windows XP Home

Edition (suspended.) When I try to start using the XP Home Edition, I get a

black DOS screen with a message, "operating system not found." I assume I

can only use one of these two, not both, right?

Should I just delete the XP VM and only use the Bootcamp Partition? Is there

some advantage to using one over the other?

I appreciate your help and apologize for my dumb questions.

Fran

0 Kudos