VMware Communities
PTWoo
Contributor
Contributor

Aaargh Help! XP missing vmdk file - can't boot

Hi, am running snow leopard (installed last week) and the latest version of vmware fusion (although not the public beta) and have a Virtual machine of XP with SP3. This afternoon XP hung horribly, and no commands through VM Ware fusion would persuade it to reboot. Even Snow Leopard would not quit as it was prevented by fusion. I confess I got pissed and pulled the battery (i know). Anyway to cut a long and rather dull story short, I now cannot boot XP. I get the message "File not found - Windows XP Professional - 000004.vmdk" - What can I do to resolve this? I have installed the latest updates for Snow Leopard and also the latest public beta for VMWare fusion, but to no avail.....Help

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
naveenvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From the name it looks like a snapshot .vmdk i.e 000004.vmdk. Do you have snapshots started on this VM? If yes, it looks like a snapshot sequence damage.

Also try to get into command line and see the contents of the datastore.

NUTZ

VCP 3.5

(Preparing for VCP 4)

NUTZ VCP 3.5 (Preparing for VCP 4)
PTWoo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this. I have snapshots running and have for a while, but it won't let me restore any from the last few days.

Also for the non techie in me (shit I really know nothing), how would I go about looking into the command line and see the contents of the data store?

Thanks

0 Kudos