VMware Communities
BobWatson
Contributor
Contributor

A week? Are you joking?

I bought Fusion 2 specifically because of the promise:

"Be the first to get VMware Fusion 3

Buy VMware Fusion 2 today for immediate use and automatically get a free upgrade to VMware Fusion 3 on October 27, 2009."

I'm now told (actually, I'm now not told, and have to find it in a blog post) that "If you bought VMware Fusion 2 from the VMware Online Store from October 1st through October 26th, there is nothing for you to do and you will receive a free downloadable VMware Fusion 3 upgrade by e-mail in the next week."

Please send me my key immediately; I have to be able to make a yes/no decision on rolling out 3 so I can test on Windows 7 by close of business Friday.

0 Kudos
50 Replies
minkis
Contributor
Contributor

It does surprise me that in this day and age they can't automate this a bit more. They should be able to email everyone that has a key and are entitled to an upgrade straight away. They seem a bit backwards with this whole "you have to wait" Also it is really bad that they sent no email to everyone staright away that it was launched. I also had to go find the blog post to get any kind of information. Before i did that i tried to upgrade with my key i bought 4 days ago and of course that didn't and nowhere does it say that we have to wait... jeezzz hey vmware you really need to get your act together...

0 Kudos
NineSpot_Soluti
Contributor
Contributor

You can get a 30 day trial of VMWare Fusion 3 to use until you get your code. There's a link to get it right on the VMWare Fusion 3 page. http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/features.html

0 Kudos
BobWatson
Contributor
Contributor

Actually no, I can't -- I tried the trial first; and they never sent the key; and there's no way to talk to anyone at VMWare, and there's no way to 're-send key'. I tried with 2 different email addresses -- nothing.

0 Kudos
minkis
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still waiting for my key...

0 Kudos
BobWatson
Contributor
Contributor

Real professional from VMWare; launch the product, then everyone off to bed.

0 Kudos
BobWatson
Contributor
Contributor

Ha! I can't even pay them for the damned upgrade!

Clicking to pay for the upgrade after launching 3 - "Our records indicate that you have no eligible registered products to upgrade. To complete your upgrade order, please register a compatible product."

0 Kudos
TonyArnold
Contributor
Contributor

Wow - simmer off a little. No company is required to give you a free upgrade for any period of time - VMware are doing a good thing here by giving everyone who bought a license in the last month a free upgrade.

You can install VMware Fusion 3 in trial mode until the key arrives, which will allow you to do your assessment by Friday.

Edit: I just reread your later post about the trial key problems. I'm sure the support guys will look after you in the morning.

0 Kudos
NineSpot_Soluti
Contributor
Contributor

Have you looked at this thread regarding trial keys? http://communities.vmware.com/thread/238830?tstart=15

It seems like the keys are going out, but it is taking about an hour or more for them to be sent. I'm sure there is a large backlog of accounts to process as a lot of people are probably trying VMWare 3 right now. There's probably a limit on how many get sent at a time to ensure that their system remains table during the launch.

0 Kudos
BobWatson
Contributor
Contributor

2 hours+ no key.

They're not required to give me something for free; they're required to give me what I paid for, which was an upgrade "immediately" to 3 (I bought it from an ad that used language like "Be the first"). If I had known that to be completely untrue, I would have bought today. I was misled into buying the app on a false promise, and I'm really not very happy about that.

0 Kudos
technopimp
Contributor
Contributor

For the fun of it, I just tried to "upgrade" my 29-day old copy of 2.0 to 3, and got the same "Our records indicate that you have no eligible registered products to

upgrade. To complete your upgrade order, please register a compatible

product." message. Interesting...so I buy 2.0 2 days before the unannounced cutoff for a "free" upgrade, and them am told by a VMWare employee that I can get "special" upgrade pricing, however when I try to do so their system says I don't qualify. Charming.

0 Kudos
JPamplin
Contributor
Contributor

To the Fusion Product Managers:

We appreciate you offering a free upgrade to Fusion 3 if someone purchases Fusion 2 in October. Many of us did exactly that, and waited patiently for October 27 to come along. Now that it's here, it's very disappointing to realize:

a) The Activation Code I bought for Fusion 2 isn't listed with a Fusion 3 serial number in the License Portal. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE PRIOR TO RELEASE.

b) Since I did not receive an email today, I had to call your Customer Support center in India. I guess you need India considering the number of calls you're probably getting.

c) The nice lady in India said I would have to wait until October 30 for my upgrade key, and finally...

d) Everyone who DIDN'T prepay you can order the upgrade online and get a key RIGHT NOW.

I'm being punished for being a good customer, accepting your offer, and giving you money early. I can't use my product without giving you another e-mail address and getting a trial key. I operate a call center for a food service manufacturer, and if we did this sort of thing to our customers, I would have lost my job!

VERY unprofessional, folks. Rethink your release strategy next time you do this sort of thing. We are not happy.

JP

0 Kudos
Jobs
Contributor
Contributor

I agree this is a joke. I bought VMWARE sunday just because it said "be the first to own"! Way to go!

0 Kudos
ajbrehm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Everyone who got the "no eligible registered products to upgrade" message,

You can register your current product on the same page. There is a button for it. I got the message, and then proceeded to register my two licence keys.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
sdsaavedra
Contributor
Contributor

A salesperson told me on the phone on 10/21 that I should order Fusion 2 as the best way to get Fusion 3 on release. He did mention the email procedure but I was led to believe by the advertising that I would get the email today. The issue is not that there is overwhelming demand--that's understandable. The issue is that release time was misrepresented as a selling point.

In lite of this I would appreciate it if VMWare could re-prioritize those emails.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
akuska
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried that. It briefly flashed an error message and then put up an exclamation point.

0 Kudos
sdsaavedra
Contributor
Contributor

PS Her's a direct quote from the ad info:

Just a reminder, if you buy VMware Fusion 2 today, you qualify for a free upgrade to VMware Fusion 3 when it comes out on October 27th.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

We are currently investigating the license

issues that customers are having. Please note that we are working

aggresively to identify and rectify the issue as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Regards,

Carlos Romero

0 Kudos
DanRMac
Contributor
Contributor

I was told that I had to fill out a form and fax it in.

I purchased on Sunday via VM Ware store

0 Kudos
sdsaavedra
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, Carlos.

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos