VMware Communities
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A JavaScript error occurred in the main process

When opening VMware Fusion 11.0.2 the second time and following (weird enough, no problem on the very first opening) until next restart or cold boot (in which case, the same issue arises: no problem when opening Fusion the first time, but problem when opening subsequent times), the following error shows:

A JavaScript error occurred in the main process.

No problem with previous VMware Fusion 10, or if I uninstall version 11 and re-install version 10. But if then I install version 11, the issue arises.

MacBook Pro 13-inch (mid 2017) with two Thunderbolt 3 ports, using macOS 10.12.6 (16G1815) Sierra.

How to fix it? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
yeahdongcn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Oh, I didn't expect that. Could you please try to temporarily disable Applications Menu in Fusion Preferences -> General -> Applications Menu -> Show in menu bar -> Never? I think this could be a cure for the javascript issue. And to investigate this issue, could you please run Fusion and right-click on the Fusion Dock icon -> Options -> Show in Finder and send us the location of the application?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
bfan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Can you provide a screenshot, we could locate the problem from UI

0 Kudos
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. Here are the screen captures. BTW, when I drag & drop both here, only the first one shows. I had to do it on a one-by-one basis to show. It would be great if that could be fixed. Thanks:

A JavaScript error occurred in the main process.png

Application cannot run correctly - If current Security & Privacy setting only allows applications downloaded from App Store to run….png

A JavaScript error occurred in the main process.pngApplication cannot run correctly - If current Security & Privacy setting only allows applications downloaded from App Store to run….png

0 Kudos
yeahdongcn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Looks like Fusion is blocked by current Security & Privacy setting and translocated to a temporary directory. So could you please follow the instructions on the second screenshot to make Fusion runs correctly on your machine and then remove all login items contains "VMware Fusion" in System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Items to see whether it works? Thanks.

0 Kudos
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. The "Apple - System Preferences - Security & Privacy - General - Allow apps downloaded from - App Store and identified developers" is always selected. There are no VMware Fusion items in "Apple - System Preferences - Users & Groups - Login Items". On the other hand, I guess that by "re-download VMware Fusion image to install it" means to download VMware Fusion installer and reinstall such application, yet that does not fix it.

0 Kudos
yeahdongcn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Oh, I didn't expect that. Could you please try to temporarily disable Applications Menu in Fusion Preferences -> General -> Applications Menu -> Show in menu bar -> Never? I think this could be a cure for the javascript issue. And to investigate this issue, could you please run Fusion and right-click on the Fusion Dock icon -> Options -> Show in Finder and send us the location of the application?

0 Kudos
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fixed! Amazing. Many thanks! As you said, fixed selecting "VMware Fusion - Preferences - General - Applications Menu: Show in menu bar - Never". Previously it had "Only when Fusion is running". BTW, the application is in "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app".

In any case, it would be great if that could be fixed in future Fusion versions, or at least if the application would warn and indicate how to fix it.

Many thanks again. You made my day!

0 Kudos
yeahdongcn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No problem. I think the reason why this happens is Fusion is trapped and translocation to a certain path (in the first screenshot, e.g. /private/var/folders/[yaddayadda]/AppTranslocation/) by the system security settings previously. Maybe you can try to delete that one and see whether the applications menu could work as well if you have time. Thanks.

0 Kudos
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. I have deleted the folder

/private/var/folders/[yaddayadda]/AppTranslocation/

but then the first screen capture above shows when selecting

"VMware Fusion - Preferences - General - Applications Menu: Show in menu bar - Only when Fusion is running". So, I have changed it back to "Never".

0 Kudos
yeahdongcn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, please see the actual path on your first screenshot.

0 Kudos
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That was quick! I was still testing. See outcome above.

0 Kudos