VMware Communities
Betazero
Contributor
Contributor

8.5 Keeps crashing

About every 30 minutes to an hour it crashes. Its good that it only takes two seconds to reload but man is it annoying. Please fix it I only had a crash once a week maybe with the previous version.

45 Replies
Betazero
Contributor
Contributor

Its crashed 3 times since I wrote the last message

0 Kudos
Betazero
Contributor
Contributor

Just a little info I am using Autocad 2017 only and nothing else in Windows 10. It just happens at random times. Something I am doing nothing except moving the mouse. Sometimes I am drawing a line.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

So sorry to hear that...

Are you on macOS Sierra?

We are currently investigating a known crash, and we're trying to determine if it's our bug or Apple's.

Would you be able to click Help > Collect Support Information and send that to me: mroy at vmware dot com?

I'll get it over to our devs to investigate.

Thanks!

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
Betazero
Contributor
Contributor

No still El Capitan but I will be upgrading in 5 days. Also I emailed the support info

0 Kudos
Ink_Global
Contributor
Contributor

I just emailed some support info too. This is a huge bug to have been missed by your QA team. Pretty embarrasing I'd say.

0 Kudos
Curtmantle
Contributor
Contributor

This is happening to me too. Can we roll back to the old version as this is getting annoying?

I am still running El Capitan as well.

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Betazero,

Just want to confirm with you, is the crash occurred while opening a specified file or any files? Did you do any special settings in AutoCAD 2017?

We were unable to replicate the crashing issue, we set up Windows 10 VMs in various host machines with various GPUs, and we opened some Samples in AutoCAD 2017 and did some basic operations like draw line, rotate, zoom...etc, but we did not hit the crash.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
Curtmantle
Contributor
Contributor

This may have something to do with Unity mode. I was running in Unity mode yesterday and was getting constant crashes but today in Single Window mode I've not had a single crash.

I am running Visual Studio 2015 on a Windows 7 VM.

0 Kudos
Betazero
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing special just Autocad Architecture 2017. I am in Unity mode. Not sure how to reproduce it because it will just crash at completely random times. Sometimes it will go an hour or two before a crash too.

0 Kudos
joeyalex82
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing here, in Unity mode I get lots of crashes.  So far I have not been able to determine the trigger, it seems to be rather random.  I'm not running anything intensive like AutoCAD, just Outlook and the vSphere client primarily.

Single window mode seems to fix it, haven't had a single crash since using that instead of Unity.

Also, the actual VM doesn't die, it is just the Fusion interface.  If I relaunch Fusion the VM picks up where it left off like it was running in the background the whole time.

I'm on El Capitan still as well, Fusion 8.1.1 worked fine, no crashes during a full work day. 8.5 crashes multiple times daily, sometimes multiple times an hour.

0 Kudos
Lukemacahan
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing here - Unity crashes - in my case with Embarcadero product so pretty sure it has nothing to do with what you are running.

I'm also surprised how 8.5 can be released with such an obvious bug.

I hope this is fixed soon - unity is the main reason why I went with Fusion.

0 Kudos
alittle158
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, same issue here with El Cap and Windows 10 Enterprise.  Seems to happen more often when hovering over items that pop up dialogs or other information, but the crashes don't seem to have a pattern (so far). 

0 Kudos
Betazero
Contributor
Contributor

How do I downgrade? I can't handle this anymore. Sometimes it crashes 30 seconds after it crashes...

0 Kudos
Betazero
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded to Sierra and it still crashes a lot !! Does the previous version work with Sierra? I can't handle this anymore.......

0 Kudos
MaxMoarle
Contributor
Contributor

I also encounter VM crashes, usually soon after startup (VMWare encountered an internal error... blah, blah, ... needs to be restarted....)

This usually happens right after starting up a VM, both Linux (Kali Rolling) and several Windows Versions (Win 7 SP1, mostly) are affected. Restarting VMWare mitigates the issues temporarily, at least most of the time.

Even worse, VMWare tends to kind of wake up the Macbook Pro while in sleep mode, apparently in some sort of race condition: The Macbook runs hot and won't wake from sleep (Display backlighting goes on, as does keyboard lighting. Other than that, the display remains black, MBP no longer responds). Hard reset necessary. This behaviour persists for approx a year now. The Macbook has seriously been analysed (several parts precautionary replaced, including logic board and wifi adapter).

However, analysing the logs hints to VMWare being the cause for this. REMOVING VWWare indeed cures all problems.

Some forum posts indicated there might be an issue with the Power Nap feature, which is currently subject to investigation.

0 Kudos
Betazero
Contributor
Contributor

Definitely this is something to do with Unity mode as the other user stated. I am in single window mode and no crashes. But I would like Unity mode back please.

I have one problem with single window mode. My mouse goes real slow inside... is there a way to make it work more like Unity mode?

0 Kudos
MaxMoarle
Contributor
Contributor

Unlikely. I do not use Unity mode at all.

I believe it is not even available for Linux clients

0 Kudos
Betazero
Contributor
Contributor

For my problem and some of the others here with the new version it is 100 % the problem. I think you maybe having a different kind of crash. Mine happens all day long with use. It doesn't happen when just starting up. Also you said its been happening for a year. My crashes are only from the latest update like a couple weeks ago.

0 Kudos
MaxMoarle
Contributor
Contributor

You may be right. I just thought this forum might be suitable, better than starting a new thread because there is a chance that the cause might me the same.

I apologise if I this is not the case...

0 Kudos