VMware Communities
thalesj
Contributor
Contributor

5.0.2 crashing

Upgraded to 5.0.2 Fusion, and it kept crashing to a DOS enviornment.

This has seemed to have stopped, but am still noticing it to be very buggy.

IE: Can't open MAIL via METRO UI.. just gives me blank screen.

0 Kudos
96 Replies
nickjhowe
Contributor
Contributor

From VMware support:

"Thank you for your Support Request.

We really apologize for the inconvenience, the Fusion crash after upgrading to VMware Fusion 5.0.2 is a known issue and is already been reported to our development team as bug.

We request you to please click on the below link to download VMware Fusion 5.0.1, we will provide you an update when we come up with an new build for Fusion 5.0.1.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=FUS-501-EN&productId=294

"

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Note well that the advice given to nickjhowe does not necessarily apply to everyone encountering this problem.

There are at least two different issues involved in this thread, affecting different users.  One of the failure modes might be addressed by downgrading to Fusion 5.0.1.  The other failure mode will continue to affect Fusion 5.0.1 as well, and requires that you disable 3D acceleration in order to work around it.

We are continuing to investigate.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Apple doesn't pre-release EFI updates.

0 Kudos
TimG201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Running Ubuntu 12.0.4 LTS as well here and 5.0.1 of VMWare ran fine with DirectX on.. now, cannot run w/o disabling.. Any idea on time-frame for fix?

Downgrading to 5.0.1 here, but common,, we need to QC these alittle better.

0 Kudos
Joachim_Neudert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guys, you made my day. The whole day a Powerpoint presentation with some video clips  kept crashing my VMWare Fusion 5.02. I changed the video codecs, installed old Snapshots, converted video files to Quicktime, and still it kept crashing. Now I know the reason.

Office 2010 on a Retina-MBP.

Greetinx from bavaria

Joachim

0 Kudos
Joachim_Neudert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Answer to Alex:

"I'd like to hear from folks who are seeing crashes with 5.0.2 who do not have the Apple update installed (your software version should read 12C60 if I'm not mistaken).  Can you answer the following please:"

-OK, I have 10.8.2 12C60 installed, but anyway, i am very annoyed...

• What are you (or anyone that's seeing problems with 5.0.2 who doesn't have the Apple patch) doing in the guest when you're seeing these crashes?
-- Powerpoint from Office 2010 crashes the system
  • How reproducible is the issue, i.e. if you restart the guest and start the same application or do the same thing, does it crash again?
- it is fully reproducible. The same presentation always crashes.
  • Are you all running 15" 2012 MacBookPros (retina or otherwise) or are people seeing this on other hardware

- right, a Retina MBP 2012 15".

Obviously, you have a suspicion concerning 12C60 on Retina-MBPs... 

Kind regards

Joachim

0 Kudos
Joachim_Neudert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Correction: my Apple  Software version is:

systemversion:    OS X 10.8.2 (12C3006)

which is the newest patch as of  2012-11-20.

And VMWare 5.02 crashes.

Kind regards

Joachim

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Joachim,

Yeah, you have installed the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 2.0, which is what gives you build 12C3006, so the crashes are – sadly – expected unless you disable 3D acceleration for the time being.  We're still working towards addressing the problem...

Sorry for the trouble!

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Joachim_Neudert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Darius,

thank you for your confirmation. Meanwhile I have downgraded to 5.01 and can work flawless again. No I'm looking forward to a new version of VMWare.

It gave me a hard time yesterday, it happened on my "production system", I am a cardiologist and have many medical demos to show to my patients. I then transcoded the embedded videos to Quicktime and showed the videos under a OSX environment in Keynote.

Kind regards

Joachim

0 Kudos
CarlosJHernande
Contributor
Contributor

It worked for me as well, thanks!

0 Kudos
krunk4ever
Contributor
Contributor

Just hit this today running Chrome. Any updates on this?

0 Kudos
Joachim_Neudert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nothing new, I fear. I am myself still waiting for a Version 5.03. They take a lot of time to fix it. Meanwhile, my downgraded version 5.01 works flawless again on my Retina MBP.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
royfox
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE:

I can confirm by installing the 5.01 over the top of the 5.02 it seems to have sorted my problem for now.

Hi all,

I'm running OSX 10.8.2 (12C3012) with Windows 8 and have now started to be effected by this issue. Its strange as it's been working fine for about 2 weeks, only really started today but have already lost a lot of work becasue of the three crashes I've had today alone.

I did save the full report to my desktop before closing. If these are any good to send to the support.. I do find the support side of VMware to be lacking. It's not easy to create report requests etc.

Just to re iterate:

Running a mac book pro 2.6ghz i7 core

16gb 1600MHz DDR3

Software 10.8.2 (12C3012)

VMWare 5.0.2 (900491)

Windows 8 pro

I've downloaded the 5.01 install file, could anyone advise if I simply install over the top of 5.02 or do i have to do a fresh install and then move the vmware profile?

0 Kudos
knmdk
Contributor
Contributor

royfox wrote:

UPDATE:

I can confirm by installing the 5.01 over the top of the 5.02 it seems to have sorted my problem for now.

Hi all,

I'm running OSX 10.8.2 (12C3012) with Windows 8 and have now started to be effected by this issue. Its strange as it's been working fine for about 2 weeks, only really started today but have already lost a lot of work becasue of the three crashes I've had today alone.

I did save the full report to my desktop before closing. If these are any good to send to the support.. I do find the support side of VMware to be lacking. It's not easy to create report requests etc.

Just to re iterate:

Running a mac book pro 2.6ghz i7 core

16gb 1600MHz DDR3

Software 10.8.2 (12C3012)

VMWare 5.0.2 (900491)

Windows 8 pro

I've downloaded the 5.01 install file, could anyone advise if I simply install over the top of 5.02 or do i have to do a fresh install and then move the vmware profile?

Joachim_Neudert wrote:

Hello Darius,

thank you for your confirmation. Meanwhile I have downgraded to 5.01 and can work flawless again. No I'm looking forward to a new version of VMWare.

It gave me a hard time yesterday, it happened on my "production system", I am a cardiologist and have many medical demos to show to my patients. I then transcoded the embedded videos to Quicktime and showed the videos under a OSX environment in Keynote.

Kind regards

Joachim

Where do I download 5.0.1 DMG? I only get 5.0.2 in downloads section. Do I have to get it on torrents now? Help me out please!

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi knmdk,

I've answered this my reply to your other post.  One discussion thread will suffice.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
royfox
Contributor
Contributor

Darius,

Not the most useful answer considering many of your customers are having issues with this problem.

Knmdk.

If you go one page back on this thread and I believe 5 posts up from the bottom, there is a link there to donwload 5.01. Just install it over the top of 5.02. Once completed it does say would you like to update to 5.02.. obvioulsy I picked no and choose to skip this version so I couldn't accidentally load it again.

I can confirm 5.01 has worked for my reported issue. I can't comment on the issues you have. Please check before downloading..

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

We're looking for a few volunteers affected by this issue.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/430123

0 Kudos
Joachim_Neudert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, I am willing to participate.

You can reach me via this eMail neudert@5sl.org<mailto:neudert@5sl.org>

Software is 10.8.2. (12C3006)

Retina MBP 15" 2,6 GHz 16 MB RAM

Serial Number C02J45NLDKQ5

Merry X-mas from Bavaria!

Am 24.12.2012 um 20:54 schrieb Simon B <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>>:

VMware Communities<http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa>

5.0.2 crashing

reply from Simon B<http://communities.vmware.com/people/spb2011> in VMware Fusion® (for Mac) - View the full discussion<http://communities.vmware.com/message/2168942#2168942

0 Kudos
DutGRIFF33
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any progress on this issue. It happens to me when I try to install extensions in Chrome. I have a Mac Book Pro Retina. Feel free to email me if you need some help testing.

0 Kudos
DallasJeff
Contributor
Contributor

Why hasn't VMWare fixed this yet ? Are they just waiting for Fusion 6 ? Have they stopped supporting Fusion 5 ? Or are they discontinuing the product all together ? This utter lack of support is not right.

0 Kudos