MyCommunityName
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

480MB Max RAM in Hyper-V under Fusion5

I have a Win 2012 server running in my Fusion5 on a MBP with 16GB RAM

The VM has 8GB RAM

I added the Hyper-V role successfully.

I can open the Hyper-V Manager app.

When I try to create a new VM I can do it, but the max memory I can choose is 480MB.

Help?

(On a side note, does anyone know if it is a) possible, b) legal, to run an OSx VM in HyperV running on the Win2012 server in Fusion? I know it sounds crazy -- the idea is to be able to use a 'private' network)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mudaltsov
Expert
Expert

I just tried this, and I can assign up to 6342 MB memory to the VM in Hyper-V, with 8192 MB assigned to the Windows 2012 VM in Fusion. I suggest double-checking the amount of memory that you assigned to your VM in Fusion, and making sure that Windows actually reports the correct amount of system memory.

Also, make sure to set the Fusion VM's guest OS to "Hyper-V" instead of "Windows 2012" if you are planning to run Hyper-V nested in a Fusion VM.

As far as running OS X VMs in Hyper-V within Fusion, it's probably legal (since the OS X EULA specifies that the physical hardware must be a Mac, which it is), but I have no idea whether Hyper-V would actually support OS X as a guest OS. A nested VM is also going to be a lot slower than just running a second VM in Fusion. Is there a reason you can't just do that?

0 Kudos