VMware Communities
jasperx20111014
Contributor
Contributor

4.1 upgrade results in loss of "validation" of Win 7

My setup is Fusion 3 upgraded to 4.01 upgraded to 4.1 on MBP i7 2.5 ghz running Lion. Win 7 is installed in Bootcamp.  I had some "wonkiness" with the 4.0.1 upgrade.... some kernal panics, locking up on sleep.  So when the upgrade to 4.1 was released, I jumped on it.

After the installation, I was prompted to validate Windows 7.  This appeared to work fine.  A bit later, I rebooted into Bootcamp, whereupon I was asked to again validate the Windows 7.  This also appeared to work fine.  A shutdown or reboot later into Lion and startup of Fusion seemed ok but then I noticed I had a black desktop in Windows and I got a message about my Win 7 not being a legal copy. Unfortunately, I was not taking notes through the upgrade so I may not  have the sequence quite right.... whether my first attempt to run Win was on booting into Bootcamp or running it after starting in Lion.  In any case, after multiple reboots I still get the message.  What is surprising to me is that  this has not shown up as a post here.  I did notice that this was a problem back in 2009.  The workaround for that situation was to delete a directory on c:, unfortunately the directory structure is different on 7 so I was not able to try that solution.  I am looking for the best way to get sorted out.  Uninstall and reinstall 4.1?  If so, what needs backing up.... I run time capsule and have my most important data backed up in dropbox so the backup question is about avoiding the hassle of reinstalling software on the Windows machine.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jasperx20111014
Contributor
Contributor

I may have solved my "Activation" problem and it may be that I caused the problem and no one else made the same mistake?  I failed to notice that the instructions are to uninstall previous versions of Fusion 4.  I did this, reinstalled, and started Fusion.  Interestingly, I was not prompted for my license key.  I started up windows 7 and once again got the black screen and the message that my software was not legal.  On a hunch I took the link to the Microsoft website and found a link to Activate Windows 7.  I (re)ran the activation and it completed sucessfully.  The screen has stayed black but otherwise everything seems to be fine.  I am now testing to see if my previous issues with locking up on sleep and kernal panics has been cured from 4.0.x. Testing mouse and scrolling behavior later.

0 Kudos
treee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

4.0 had some issues with boot camp and activation which 4.1 resolves (check out the release notes for 4.1).

0 Kudos
jasperx20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Let me rephrase.  I had no "activation" issues with 3.x or with 4.0.x  After the upgrade to 4.1, I was prompted to activate both in Bootcamp and when I started from vmware.  Both activations appeared to complete correctly.  However, both began showing the  invalid software message.  I have cured the problem... uninstall, install, activate.... no more nasty messages.

4.1 looks to be a good improvement for other issues I had in 4.0.x.  The mac no longer freezes while asleep.  Quiting windows and then starting windows no longer causes a kernal panic.  All seems good.  Cannot comment on the cursor/mouse issues as have only used it hooked up to my old wired mouse and keyboard.  All looks fine.  Am very pleased so far.

0 Kudos