VMware Communities
dairladada
Contributor
Contributor

3d works for a while then gets corrupted

Hi,

I am making a game using Virtools Dev www.virtools.com on the latest Macbook with the Intel 950 chipset. I get 60 frames per second whish is phenomenal, hardware acceleration does work! But...

After some times moving in my level, textures seems to display all over the place and the game freezes. Looks like a video crash.

It actually froze my system twice.

I have increased the virtual machine's memory to 1gb. I have 2gigs of ram.

I tried with dx9, dx8 and dx7 settings, same problem. Man this is soooo close to perfection.

Any idea?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

textures seems to display all over the place

Do you mean even outside the window? I've seen something similar (on a MacBook attempting to run the Sam & Max demos). Try turning down the amount of VRAM the virtual machine has - it defaults to 128MB, but the MacBook (and the mini) doesn't have a real graphics card. To do this, edit the vmx file (while the VM is off, naturally) and replace the svga.vramSize = "134217728" line with something like

svga.vramSize = "67108864"[/code]

or

svga.vramSize = "33554432"[/code]

Since Fusion currently only supports DirectX 8.1, I wouldn't expect the DX9 settings to work. Actually, given you're on a MacBook, I'm wondering how much the 950 graphics help - what's your framerate with the 3D acceleration turned off?

0 Kudos
dairladada
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I will try that and let you know.

Frame rate is at 10fps... without acceleration. The 950 is actually descent. Not the most amazing card but much better than I expected. Good enough for me to pick a Macbook Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
dairladada
Contributor
Contributor

Actually...

I am using my bootcamp partition. Where is the file I need to edit?

Thanks!

Fm.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The default location is:

~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/your-device-name-here/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm/Boot Camp partition.vmx

0 Kudos
dairladada
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for answering so fast.

I went there an I can see the vmwarevm file but no vmx file there.

Any idea?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The easiest way is to command-click on the vmwarevm file and choose "Show package contents".

0 Kudos
dairladada
Contributor
Contributor

32k seems to work!

This is phenomenal. So much less switching to Bootcamp... I'm switching to WMware though! Unless Parallels comes up with a solution. Me like Fusion!

I'm thinking of buying a Macbook pro now though Smiley Wink

Thanks so much for your help. You have no idea of how much time this will save me!

Cheers,

Fm.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Cool, glad to hear it!

You might want to switch to V[/b]Mware, though :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

You might want to switch to V[/b]Mware, though :smileygrin:

\*rofl*

0 Kudos
dairladada
Contributor
Contributor

Whoever makes this Fusion miracle Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
dairladada
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have downloaded the latest trial, where 3d support is available again for Macbooks, but the svga memory trick that prevented the app to crash (Lowering memory size) is not working anymore Smiley Sad

Any idea of why and any other alternative?

I have Parallels but it's much slower and eats so much more resources than Fusion...

F.

0 Kudos
dairladada
Contributor
Contributor

Any idea?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Which version are you using? GA was yesterday.

Is this still a complete freeze of the system? How reproducible is it? Is this something the developers could try?

0 Kudos
dairladada
Contributor
Contributor

It's the latest testable version.

VMware-Fusion-1.0.0-50460 is the name of the file.

Very easy to reproduce but I'm not sure the developer would support that...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

50460 was the release candidate, GA is 51348.

0 Kudos
dairladada
Contributor
Contributor

ok I got the latest and tried with the same problem.

It almost feels like changing the vram size has no effect at all. Is it working on a Macbook? Any other option I can try?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos