VMware Communities
travisc5
Contributor
Contributor

3D App works in Parallels, "Out of Memory" in Fusion

I'm trying to switch back to Fusion after using Parallels for a few years.  I'm using a 2019 MacBook Pro 16" with an external 4K display.  The MacBook lid is always closed.

In Fusion, when this app (Altium Designer) tries to render a 3D model of a circuit board, the app pops up an "Out of Memory" error.  If I open the same file in Parallels it works fine.  Both VMs have the exact same settings, 8GB RAM, 1GB of VRAM.  I've tried increasing VRAM in Fusion up to 3GB but it doesn't help.  I've tried a clean install of Windows 10, as well as importing the Parallels VM, same issue.

The only differences I can see between the two machines when I'm inside windows is how they declare the available VRAM.  When running dxdiag, Windows reports 4MB VRAM, 1024MB shared for a total of 1028MB.  When running Parallels Windows dxdiag reports 1024MB VRAM and 1024MB Shared for a total of 2048MB.

When I increase Fusions VRAM the 4MB remains unchanged, only the Shared increases.

Could this be the issue?  Is there a way to tell Fusion to increase the VRAM and not the Shared memory?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi travisc5,

It would be great if you can attach the vmware.log in this thread for analysis. You can find it by following the steps as below:

Steps:

1) Launch the VM, reproduce the Out of Memory issue

2) Open VM Library, right click the VM, click 'Show in Finder'

3. Right click the VM bundle in Finder, click 'Show Package Contents'

4) Find vmware.log and attach it to this thread.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
travisc5
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rick,

Sorry for the delay, I was out of the office for a few weeks.

I followed the steps below and attached the log.

1. I shutdown and then started the VM.

2. I launched Altium Designer, opened a project.

3. As it was trying to render the design I got an "Not Enough Memory" error reported by Altium.

Thanks for assitance.  If you need any other info or would like me to run some other tests let me know.  Smiley Happy

Travis

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi travisc5,

Thanks for the log, the development team will look into your issue soon.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
rjc201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem with Fusion version Professional Version 11.5.3 (15870345), has this been fixed or a workaround known?

0 Kudos