VMware Communities
CarlinSmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

3D Acceleration Stopped Working with 12.3.X Guest Update

Fellow members I wanted to post an observation to see if others might have noticed the same before, I report more formally to VMware.

I have used the experimental macOS 3D acceleration since announced via blog post starting with Big Sur Host/Big Sur Guest.  That support also worked with Big Sur Host/Monterey Guest and subsequently Monterey Host/Big Sur Guest, and Monterey Host/Monterey Guest.

For sure starting with 12.3 and remaining the same with 12.3.1 3D acceleration in the Monterey Guest (Host version doesn't seem to matter) is pretty broken to the point that simple scrolling operations will not only work without significant delays but even typing in a browser window can be a 5 second delay character to character.  I used these guest VMs somewhat sparingly so its possible it broke with 12.2 but I don't have a guest at that level to verify at moment.

I can confirm that 12.0, 12.0.1, 12.1 in the Guest with any version of Monterey up to 12.3.1 on the Host still work fine.  Big Sur in guest also continues to work fine.

I did test this observation with a few other colleagues who have different revisions of Apple Intel hardware and the issue was the same so I don't believe this is hardware dependent.

Thanks

Tags (1)
8 Replies
trodemaster
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm also noticing a reduction in functionality. Previously the About this mac info box would show "Apple paravirtualized Graphics Device" and I'm not seeing that on recent VM builds.

Host macOS 12.3.0
Fusion 12.2.3

Working graphics accel and shows in about box

Not working, No transparency under menus and not showing in about box

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

This is an experimental capability, and with all the plumbing changes, not surprised that it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Arrgh, hit send too soon.  Monterey has been one of the least stable releases in a while...tons of things changed and broke (the whole USB subsystem is a bit of a disaster for example).  Comment not intended to be snarky, just pointing out that experimental features are prone to breakage 🙂

0 Kudos
CarlinSmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah I understand experimental nature but want to verify its now broken so VMware knows about it and can factor it into new builds or designs.  I am certainly not relying upon this feature for production workloads.

0 Kudos
trodemaster
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Agreed. Helpful user reports with details assist the team with debugging and priority setting. Wouldn't hurt if Apple would chill out with breaking changes either. 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I'd settle for them  making 'fixing changes' 🙂

0 Kudos
guruthings
Contributor
Contributor

I just bought Fusion 13 thinking it would solve the 3D acceleration problems reported since version 12.

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/3D-Acceleration-Stopped-Working-with-12-...

I’ve thrown away my money, fusion still doesn’t work with acceleration in macOS 12.6.1 and Intel Mac Book Pro.

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am a bit confused.  If I run the system report in a Ventura guest I get this:

Apple Paravirtualized Graphics Device:

Chipset Model: Apple Paravirtualized Graphics Device
  Type: GPU
  VRAM (Total): 64 MB
  Vendor: Apple (0x106b)
  Device ID: 0xeeee
  Revision ID: 0x0000
  Metal Support: Metal 2

That said its obvious by the fact you have to edit the VMX to use this that is is not a fully baked feature.

0 Kudos