VMware Communities
Kelkin
Contributor
Contributor

3 Partitions & Bootcamp - Worked in Snow Leopard but not Lion

Before anyone says it, I know this configuration isn't supported. With that said, I know we were able to do it previously and I'm curious if anyone has found a way to do it with Lion?

With Fusion 3.0 and Leopard/Snow Leopard, I was able to manually create three partitions with Disk Utility rather than using the Bootcamp utility. I created the partitions as follows:

1st - OSX - 120GB Mac OS Extended Journaled

2nd  - Data - 260GB - NTFS

3rd - Windows 7 - NTFS

I need this layout due to my requirement to reload the Windows OS frequently, and I like to store my data on one partition and access between both OS's.

With Fusion 3.0 and Leopard I had no problem creating the partitions manually, installing fusion in OSX, and starting up the boot camp partition as a VM.

With Fusion 3.1 and Lion, I can't do this. Unless I allow the boot camp utility to create the partition for me, I'm unable to boot up the partition as a VM. I get the error that bootcamp might not be able to boot up the partion as a VM, it's the same error you get when you delete the partition created by the bootcamp utility and re-create it within windows.

My old drive had my desired config and I upgraded to Lion and Fusion 3.1 and everything worked great. it's only trying to create this config on a new install that the issue occurs.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to create this unsupported, yet desired config?

-Keith

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jgodbey
Contributor
Contributor

Running into the same thing and looking for a solution as well..

0 Kudos