VMware Communities
francis_carden
Contributor
Contributor

3.1 Fusion still has same performance issue

If I run each of my XP VM's on their own, everything in the garden is rosy - all GREAT.

However, if I try to start the 2nd one whilst the first is running, more often than not, the 2nd one runs like a dog. Has done so ever sine I upgrade to Version 3. I was hoping the lastest update would fix it. NOPE.

The only symptoms are this;

1. Run each VM on it's own and it runs faster than a speeding bullet - lovely.

2. Start 2nd VM (in any order) and the 2nd one is slow to come out of resume AND taskmgr shows 100% for at least 15-20 minutes and then sometimes again later.

3. Whilst at 100% CPU usage in the VM (as shown by taskmgr), hits performance on the MAC itself.

That's it. Easily reproducible. What would cause this symptom. What does VMWARE do when it brings a machine out of suspend that would make the resume run slow instantly I enter the resume, all the way thru from resume to the 100% TaskMgr impact. It's obviously not XP because it's not up straight away. It's like it's rebuilding something in the VM or doing something when the 2nd VM starts. Both the VM's are 6+ months old and run fine on their own. The only thing is, one VM is a copy / similar as the first VM so could the 2nd VM be overwriting / rebuilding something under the covers that causes conflict? If I kill the VM that's not running slowly then the slow VM speeds up to normal... Weird and frustrating.

Both VM's have latest tools.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

1) What host OS are you running? (should be 10.6.3)

2) What's the physical host hardware? (CPU, RAM, disk speed) (needs to have at least 4GB to run 2 1GB VM's - with not much else running)

3) What else is running on the host? (hopefully nothing that hits the disk,uses much CPU, or much RAM).

4) How are each VM configured (how many virtual CPU's, how much RAM, 3d acceleration)? (Should only be 1 virtual CPU, no more than 1GB of RAM)

It very much sounds like the host is overloaded.

0 Kudos