VMware Communities
Scupper20111014
Contributor
Contributor

3.1.3 and Lion with windows xp

After installing lion, I get icons on OSX desktop for excel.lnk and word.lnk corresponding to the Windows shortcuts on windows desktop.  If I trash the .lnk icons on OSX, the WINDOWS icons (visually unchanged) no longer work - Properties prettymuch blank.  restoring the OSX .lnk files makes the Windows icons work again. 

The OSX .lnk icons did not appear (at least on the desktop) prior to Lion. 

Any hints are appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Looks like you have Mirrored Folders turned on under Virtual Machine > Settings... > Sharing > Mirrored Folders.

So either turn off Mirrored Folders for the Desktop or if you want to keep Mirrored Folders for the Desktop enabled then if you have Developer Tools installed you can use SetFile to make .lnk files invisible on the OS X Users Desktop from a Terminal (/Application/Utilities/).

Use the following command to hide all .lnk files (Hint: Copy and paste the command as is.):

SetFile -a V /Users/${USER}/Desktop/*.lnk

Use the following command to unhide all .lnk files:

SetFile -a v /Users/${USER}/Desktop/*.lnk

Note that if you do not have Developer Tools installed you can extract just the SetFile executable and place it in the "/usr/bin/" folder to use it.

Using Pacifist on the Xcode.mpkg file in the Optional Installs folder on the Mac OS X Install DVD the picture below shows the folder and location the SetFile executable and you can use Pacifist to install that file by itself if you do not want to install Xcode.

SetFile_location_in_Xcode.mpkg_package_as_shown_in_Pacifist.png

0 Kudos
Scupper20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I unchecked the box at  virt mach > settings > sharing and rebooted no change to the OSX desktop!?

Lacking other thoughts I'll soon try the setfile alternative.

Thanks>

0 Kudos