VMware Communities
francis_carden
Contributor
Contributor

3.01 My update Experience

Apart from the odd network blip, both VM's are up and running and seem to be performing as pre 3.0. Great Start. I'll leave them running and work on them over the weekend and hope to report the same.. Here's my mini-Log of the update.

Downloaded fine. Installed fine.

First to resume and update was my WIn XP Session 1. I had not had many problems with this session in 3.0 - it's the one I use most. Sometimes it ran slow after a resume but once a week max and 99% of the time performs great. So, this one first;

1. Resume was quick but no network. That's never failed before.

2. updated tools... Estimated > 10 mins.. Whow... Dropped to 1 min after 1 min... Took a total of 3 mins.. Estimated time as usual is pointless! Prompts for reboot... rebooting..

3.reboot took nearly 5 mins.. That's unusal. Normally less than 3. We'll see next time.

4. Still no network. What's up with this... No network problems ever before in the VM. Tried switich from NAT to Bridge. Nope. Back to NAT, nope.

5. Rebooted Mac. Restarted VM 1. No network.

6. Decide to upgrade other VM.

This is the one I care about and have had the most problems since 3.0. Win XP Session 2. Had lots of issues with random major slow downs on this one. Often slow to resume and 20 mins at least before ramps up and then goes slow at any time thereafter. Frequent 100% CPU usage inside the VM. This is the one I really want to thrash.

7. Resumed fast

8. No network. Tried everything I know.

9. Upgrading tools - Estimating 15 mins.. Taking a long time.. took 5 mins..

10. Oh, now the network is working in the first VM (it seemed to connect coincidently when the 2nd VM was updating it's tools!

11. Reboot this VM.

12. Network also came up in this VM after reboot so hopefully that blip is over!

13. suspended both VM's

14. resumed both VM's. Both fast.

15. Shut down Mac.

17. Resumed both VM's. Both fast. 46 secs each to resume.

Will leave them both running. Will be using VM 1 extensively today and looking forward to VM1 being very responsive all day.. Here goes...

0 Kudos
0 Replies