VMware Communities
ddoherty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

3.0.1 autoupdate quagmire

Running on a Black MacBook, Snow Leopard, Boot Camp partition, WinXP SP3 guest OS.

Fusion graciously offers to autoupdate me to 3.0.1. I've had some issues with 3.0 (USB thumb drives don't automount; OpenGL performance halves from Fusion 2), so I say OK.

After long periods of jet black screens ("is anything happening?" "should I try to kill it?"), it finally start showing some progress bars, then reboots into 3.0.1, then tries updating VMware tools.

That's when the real fun (TM) begins:

It gives me a long series of dialogs about things that it was not able to do.

1. "Setup failed to install the mouse driver automatically. This driver will have to be installed manually."

Hmm. Wonder how I would do this?

2. "Setup failed to install the VMXNet driver automatically. This driver will have to be installed manually."

ditto.

3. "Error 25028. Setup failed to install the VMCI driver.

Setup failed to install the SVGA driver automatically. This driver will have to be installed manually. Instructions for how to do this will appear at the end of the installation."

This ought to be interesting.

4. The first time I tried this, no such instructions appear. So I reboot and try to "repair" the VMware tools.

Same errors as before. And this time, the instructions on how to update the video driver appear.

If only they led to something useful.

Not.

5. "The Display Properties dialog box has been opened

to help you finish installing your SVGA driver."

wrong.

6. I open the video preferences myself.

The "instructions" continue...

"...

5) Select the "Driver" tab.

6) Click on the button labeled "Update Driver...".

This will start the Upgrade Device Driver wizard.

Click Next."

No such button.

7. So instead, I go to my computer, properties, hardware, etc... to get to try to install the device driver:

the instructions coninue:

...9) Click button labeled "Browse..." and navigate to this

path:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\video\

10) Select the "VMware SVGA II" display adapter and

click Next. Click Next again. Click on the Yes button

to indicate that you want to continue with the

installation.

not there. only: vmx_svga.inf

This doesn't look right. But we've got nothing to lose, right? I click it.

Cannot Install this Hardware

There was a problem installing this hardware:

VMware SVGA II

An error occured during the installation of the device

The system cannot find the file specified.

So, in what state is my VM now? And does anyone have any ideas how to fix or reverse this mess?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Tools team says there should be another log named vmmsi.log, they want to see that too. They also suggest uninstalling Tools, rebooting the guest as needed, and installing Tools to eliminate the upgrade process as a variable.

Finally, they note that the log indicates you're running an old virtual hardware version (did you create this virtual machine with Fusion 1.x?).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Well it sounds to me that the download didn't come through correctly.

In your case I would go and download the full version (the one with VMware Tools) from here

To make sure the download is OK this time, verify the MD5sum if possible.

Then uninstall the broken VMware Fusion 3.0.1 and install the freshly downloaded version.

After the reinstall, then reinstall VMware tools into your guest.

Hope this helps.

--

Wil

VI-Toolkit & scripts wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ddoherty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I'll give that a try and report back here.

0 Kudos
ddoherty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bah Humbug.

I downloaded the full dmg.

Uninstalled the old version.

Installed 3.0.1.

Went into WinXP and uninstalled the VMware Tools that were there.

Rebooted and reinstalled VMware Tools and ran into the exact same errors, as detailed above.

It's now a 4 hour quagmire.

I miss Fusion 2.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

wila: Fusion's automatic updates automatically checks the size and sha256 hash of files, so it's unlikely to be the download not coming through correctly.

ddoherty: My guess would be a bad interaction between the Tools upgrader and the guest. See the "Collect Tools installation logs" section of .

0 Kudos
ddoherty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Arggh.

Next, I uninstalled VMware Tools, then I uninstalled 3.0.1.

Then I installed 3.0.0. And then I told it to install VMware tools.

The same errors now come up -- now under 3.0.0.

The thing that I really love though, is the fact that the VMware Tools installer is oblivious:

"The Installation Wizard has successfully installed VMware Tools."

I hope that if VMware fixes nothing else in 3.0.2, it fixes the fact that its own Tools installer doesn't know when things go wrong.

etung, thanks -- next I'll look at the logs.

0 Kudos
ddoherty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here's a snippet of the viminst.log file (with lines relevant to the mouse driver installation, which is one part that failed:

--

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:57:51 Begin Logging

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:57:51 --- VMInstallMouseDriver() : Installing the Win2k mouse driver

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:57:51 Getting Property CustomActionData = C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\mouse\;3

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:57:51 Cannot query key value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\Wnd: 2

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:57:51 Installing driver with inf: "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\mouse\vmmouse.inf", flags: 1

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:57:51 Found "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\mouse\vmmouse.inf"

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:57:51 Attempting to install HID1: *PNP0F03

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:57:51 HID1 install status: 0xe000020b

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:57:51 Attempting to install HID2: *PNP0F13

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:58:00 HID2 install status: 0x00000002

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:58:00 Failed to install driver: 0x00000002

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:58:00 Cannot query key value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\Wnd: 2

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:58:00 MessageBox( 40152, "Setup failed to install the mouse driver automatically. This driver will have to be installed manually.", "VMware Tools Installation", 48)

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:58:11 MessageBox returned 1

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:58:11 Setting property MANUAL_MOUSE_INSTALL = 1

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:58:11 Failed to set property: 6

tools-build-215242: 12/21/09 07:58:11 End Logging

--

This is running in an administrator account, so it should have access to HKLM.

Checked in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc. and the key Wnd does not exist. (Not sure if this is the cause of the failure.)

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please attach the entirety of all the vm*.log files, the Tools installation team will be unlikely to investigate without all the information upfront.

0 Kudos
ddoherty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vminst.log attached.

0 Kudos
netwrk_eng203
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a very similar issue, It just sits at Installing VMXNet driver. Windows installer say's WMware Tools (Not Responding)

Windows XP SP3

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

wila: Fusion's automatic updates automatically checks the size and sha256 hash of files, so it's unlikely to be the download not coming through correctly.

Oh nice implementation Smiley Happy It is a step that is not always taken with downloading updates. Thanks for setting me straight on this and helping out the OP.

--

Wil

VI-Toolkit & scripts wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Tools team says there should be another log named vmmsi.log, they want to see that too. They also suggest uninstalling Tools, rebooting the guest as needed, and installing Tools to eliminate the upgrade process as a variable.

Finally, they note that the log indicates you're running an old virtual hardware version (did you create this virtual machine with Fusion 1.x?).

0 Kudos
ddoherty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tools team says there should be another log named vmmsi.log, they want to see that too.

Attached. (although I'm not sure that this log file corresponds to the vminst.log that I provided before.)

>They also suggest uninstalling Tools, rebooting the guest as needed, and installing Tools to eliminate the upgrade process as a variable.

I've done this multiple times, both with 3.0.0 and 3.0.1. It happens every time with both 3.0.0 and 3.0.1.

>Finally, they note that the log indicates you're running an old virtual hardware version (did you create this virtual machine with Fusion 1.x?).

Yes. Is this a problem? Should I create a new (Boot Camp) vm?

Thanks for looking into this.

0 Kudos
ddoherty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I deleted the (evidently prehistoric) Boot Camp vm, and built a new one. And, lo and behold, VMware Tools now install correctly.

Thanks for looking into this.

(unfortunately, the new vm and 3.0.1 didn't solve the problem of my USB thumb drive not automounting)

0 Kudos
analyticsPierce
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having the exact same symptoms as described here. I never had boot camp though.

Do you have any recommendations for fixing this problem?

Thanks,

Jason

0 Kudos