VMware Communities
lricci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

2nd VM running Win XP?

I've read that it is a bit complicated to expand a VM disk allocation, and have seen recommendations to create a 2nd VM.

I used an OEM disk of Win XP for my first Fusion VM disk. Will I need/be able to use it again for a 2nd VM running Windows XP?

I am thinking of depositing files I may not need handy, into a separate VM in order to preserve space on my first VM where I'm running software.

Suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So, A new disk drive added to my VM sounds easier

than expanding my VM allocation. Do I have this

right?

Yes.

If so, where do I find instructions to add a new disk

to the VM?

When the VM is shut down (suspended doesn't count), go to Settings, click on the plus button in the lower left, and select "Add Hard Disk..." You can then set the disk size, type, and name.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Rzn8tor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You could just add a second virtual disk to your existing VM.

If you create a new VM you will need the XP install CD. Whether you can use an OEM version again is not clear. With a retail version you can get another activation approved for use in a VM or for a change in hardware, but I don't know how this works with an OEM version since it's technically not being used in accordance with the terms under which it was originally sold.

lricci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, that is my concern. Can I create a second VM and then install Win XP a second time?

Has anyone done this and found it successful? I don't want to risk having the license disabled and then my original VM doesn't work either.

It seems it should be within the license agreement since it is running on the same piece of hardware, not even under a different user. But the software won't be able to distinquish that, or will it?

0 Kudos
lricci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OOPS! I just read this more carefully.

If I create a second disk under the current VM, will that expand the space I have? (I installed with 20GB)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It will be like adding a new hard drive to a computer - it'll show up as a different drive entry and you won't be able to have a file stretch across both drives (e.g. if you have two 20 GB virtual drives, you can't keep a 30 GB database on them), but you can keep additional files on the new drive.

If you want to resize your existing drive, I recommend Resizing a Virtual Disk for Windows Guests with Step by Step Instructions[/url]

0 Kudos
lricci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, A new disk drive added to my VM sounds easier than expanding my VM allocation. Do I have this right?

I don't have large files that might need more than 20GB, so separate disks would be fine.

If so, where do I find instructions to add a new disk to the VM?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So, A new disk drive added to my VM sounds easier

than expanding my VM allocation. Do I have this

right?

Yes.

If so, where do I find instructions to add a new disk

to the VM?

When the VM is shut down (suspended doesn't count), go to Settings, click on the plus button in the lower left, and select "Add Hard Disk..." You can then set the disk size, type, and name.

0 Kudos
lricci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the instructions!

I've created a 2nd Hard Drive. But when I'm in Windows XP, I can't find it listed in Windows Explorer. Do I need to do something in addition to have it available to me?

0 Kudos
Rzn8tor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you formatted the new drive?

0 Kudos
lricci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't think I formatted the disk when I created it.

Trying to use the forum to search for instructions is tedious today

since they are migrating the forums to a new platform. So far, I

haven't been successful in finding instructions, but have been able

to confirm that the HD shows up in the Windows XP VM as hardware, but

not yet under My Computer so I can use it.

The new HD is noted as IDHE?? whereas the primary HD is SCSI, so I'm

guessing that might be some indication of what is yet to be done.

<mailto:LRicci@1Ricci.com> . . . . . .<http://www.1Ricci.com>

Supporting Good People Doing Great Things

Proposal Expert: Consulting and Training

414.807.3669 Phone

262.695.4250 Fax

315 Jonathan Suite B, Pewaukee WI 53072

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . .

0 Kudos
lricci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't remember formatting the new HD when I created it. From other posts on the forum, I've found the HD in Windows XP VM and it is listed as IDSE, whereas the primary HD is SCSI.

I have not been able to find further instructions that work to format this HD.

There is nothing on this disk, so one possibility is to delete it (how should I do this?) and then re-create being more careful to format this time. Which would be easier and more foolproof?

0 Kudos
Rzn8tor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The formatting has nothing to do with Fusion--you need to do that inside Win XP. If you click on "My Computer" does the new drive appear? If it does go ahead and format there.

If not, right click on My Computer and select manage. Then under "Storage" select "Disk Management." Does the new drive appear here? If not, I'd delete it and start over.

lricci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

I was able to reach the drive and format! Now I'm showing both drives and can start moving files to the extra drive to keep my primary drive a bit freer for programs and current work.

In order to accomplish this I replaced my Mac mouse with a windows mouse that could right click. I couldn't reach the correct place very easily with my Mac mouse.

0 Kudos