VMware Communities
cecisme
Contributor
Contributor

2nd User Account - Insufficient permissions to access the file

I have 2 user accounts on an iMac with OSX 10.4.11. I can access the Virtual Machine just fine on the 1st (main) user account. I am unable to access the Virtual Machine on the 2nd user account and receive the following error message: "Insufficient permissions to access the file". The Virtual Machine Package is in a folder within the Applications folder; my understanding is that all users should be able to access the Package at this location. I believe that the permissions are set to provide all users with access to the Virtual Machine Package and have attached a screen shot of the Package's "Get Info" screen. Some information that may (or may not) have a bearing on this situation is:

1. - I recently corrupted my .vmx file and replaced it courtesy of a replacement file that WoodyZ was able to provide.

2. - When I first launched Fusion using the 2nd user account, I was prompted to register the software as if I was installing it for the first time. I keyed in my product code and received an error message that it had already been registered. I closed and relaunched Fusion and began receiving the error message only when using the 2nd user account.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Check the permissions of the files contained in the bundle - just because the bundle has the correct permissions does not necessarily mean that the files in the bundle have them correct. Especially since you replaced a corrupted .vmx file within the bundle.

Right click the bundle, and then click on "Show Package Contents" instead of "Get Info". Check the permissions of all the files in the bundle to make sure your second user has access to all of them.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
cecisme
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advice Technogeezer, you hit the nail right on the head. A few of the files in the Package had incorrect permissions settings. I've changed them and everything works just fine from both user accounts. I really appreciate your assistance and timely response.

0 Kudos