VMware Communities
developer7899
Contributor
Contributor

2nd Display screen flickering and slow graphics performance El-Capitan, VM Fusion Version 6.0.6 (2684343)

I am using VMWare Fusion Version 6.0.6 (2684343) on a Mac to run Windows 8.1

Since upgrading my Macbook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) to El-Capitan I have been having issues with VMWare.

These issues only occure with an Exteranl/2nd Monitor

Issues:

• Severe screen flickering when starting up the virtual machine.
  • Once the virtual machine starts up I get general flickering constantly. This is both on the VM and on the Mac.
  • Sometimes when I run VMWareFusion I get an error (VMware Fusion quit unexpectedly). The error message is pasted below and a detailed error repotrt is attached.
  • Graphics performance is slow.
    • Simple things like moving the cursor causes the display to freeze.
    • Switcing views fixes the freezing.
    • Scrolling a visual studio file almost certainly cause the graphics to freeze

Application Specific Information:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'CALayerInvalidGeometry', reason: 'CALayer position contains NaN: [nan nan]'

terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

abort() called

Please also see attached report

0 Kudos
11 Replies
sjpye
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, slightly different environment. It happened not long after upgrading to El Capitan. I had Fusion 8 for a while before that.

Using Fusion 8.0.1 (3094680) on OS X El Capitan, with a Windows 10 VM. MacBook Pro 15-inch, Early 2013.

Generally on first launch of my VM, I get the same message as below:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'CALayerInvalidGeometry', reason: 'CALayer position contains NaN: [nan nan]'

I have a secondary monitor attached to the macbook, with both the macbook screen and secondary screen active. The crash can be repeated consistently four or five times, and then often it will work on the fifth or sixth attempt. However, I don't usually let it get that far. I unplug the secondary monitor, boot the VM (which then boots consistently and without error), and then reattach the secondary monitor and it works fine.

0 Kudos
developer7899
Contributor
Contributor

Booting up the VM prior to attaching the secondary monitor avoids the crashing isssue. However the flickering and slow graphic performance issues still occur.

Do you get the flickering and graphics issues with Fusion 8.0.1 (3094680)?

Please let me know. Will need to upgrade my version if it solves the issue.

Thanks for responding.

0 Kudos
deZinnia
Contributor
Contributor

getting exact same flickering behavior with Fusion 8.0.1 (running Windows 7) and El Capitan on my MBP with second monitor.

The secondary monitor has the VM, and if I change the view to "single window" as opposed to "Full screen" it seems to alleviate the problem.

But hoping for a fix soon.

0 Kudos
Steelcoder
Contributor
Contributor

Have the same problem with 6.0.6 after upgrading to El Capitan. External monitor, when 'full screen', get serious flickering. Switched to 'Single Window' and the flickering stopped.

I had a similar problem when upgrading to Yosemite: Full Screen had issues, but Single Window 'solved' it - or rather bypassed the problem.

0 Kudos
developer7899
Contributor
Contributor

Can confirm that single window mode is functioning correctly (no flickering or slow graphics performance).

Thanks Steelcoder‌ and deZinnia‌. Will have to use this work around for now. Not ideal but does the job Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
panzertax
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. It is terrible as I need to work on mac and windows at the same time (on two different monitors).

Are there no other ways to get this to work? Hate this issue! Please fix!!! At the moment I am thinking to move to Parallels.

I have vmware fusion v. 8.0.2

0 Kudos
developer7899
Contributor
Contributor

Not at the moment. Best work around is (as mentioned) to use single window view. Smiley Sad

I too am considering Parallels :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
Flav0r
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same issue.  I was running an experimental build of VMWare Fusion 8, and I had this problem.  I assumed it was a problem with the test version, and I finally paid to upgrade to the real v8.0.2.  The problem still exists.

I affectionately call it "epileptic mode," but I'm rather annoyed that I paid now and it's still an issue.

What I've noticed is that, if an OS X window receives an update on my main display while I am using Windows full screen on another display, the updated OS X app will go crazy.  It's as if it toggles between the new update and the old view prior to the update.  Does that make sense?

For example, if iMessage was open, and I received a message from someone while working in Windows, it'll quickly flicker between the view before the message arrived and the new view with a new message.

It's like the double-buffering is going crazy.

0 Kudos
scotta19
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is from forever ago, but I have the same issue.  Once the VM is completely booted, I unplug the monitor, plug back in and then have no issue.  Also, if you do not sure full screen mode there is not issues on the second monitor.

0 Kudos
scotta19
Contributor
Contributor

I called VMware yesterday.  They were unable to fix the issue over the phone but opened a ticket for me.  I provided video and VMware logs.  We'll see how it pans out.  I will try to update this thread if the fix is not rolled into a patch.

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Which version of Mac OS X are you using? Is it 10.11.2 ? If not, I suggest you update your OS to 10.11.2 and ensure you are running Fusion 8.1

Hope this helps

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos