VMware Communities
colin1
Contributor
Contributor

2008 iMac what fusion can i run

Hi guys i have 

v8.5.10 fusion, running on my early 2008 iMac 2.4ghz intel core duo running el capitan.

As your are aware El Cap is now not supported.

What i am trying to do is put the best version of fusion that i can on my mac  so that i can create a virtual machine with a version of a later mac OS which is still supported which in turn would make it safe for using

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Any VM created on that machine can be later ported to a new version of Fusion, so you're good there.  Right now, the latest version of MacOS supported by Apple is Mojave, but that'll drop off the list later this year, so looking for something that will run Catalina is your best bet.  For Catalina you'll need Fusion 11.5.7 at a minimum.  For Mojave, it's Fusion 11.

colin1
Contributor
Contributor

Hey thanks for coming back to me and  helping. I really have no understanding of any of this lol,

So just to be clear I can put fusion12 on my Early 2008 iMac which i believe it is 32bit and it will work and i will be ok with Moave.?

Isn't Moave 64bit ?   I read a post some where think it was on here, you can't put a 64bit virtual on a 32bit mac.  like i said I

really no nothing on this subject so could have misunderstood lol

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

So there's two pieces - the host (your imac) and the guest (windows, mac, etc).

Guests are compatible with any later version of Fusion.  So a guest created in Fusion 8 will work with Fusion 12.  Just make sure you shut it down (not suspend) and delete any snapshots before upgrading.  Fusion can run either 32 or 64 bit guests without a problem.

As far as the host goes, I believe the latest OSX version it can run is El Capitan, which is out of support.  You'll need new hardware to get to a newer version of OSX/MacOS.  I'd look for something that at least can run Catalina to have one that'll last a long time.

colin1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help.

I have another  27 iMac  that i upgraded to v10 and wnt open my virtual windows 10. When it try's it  always says there is not enough memory but there is loads, so im guessing i have done something wrong on the upgrade and now its lost as i can't open it or shut it down.

So im thinking upgrade 27imac to v12 who knows it might sort it out lol............. then take a copy and install it on 2008 .

Thanks again for all your advise 

colin

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

SO for that one, you'll need to see how much memory is in the host, and how much is configured for the guest.

You probably won't be able to easily from the v12 on the 27 to V8 on the 2008 (the other way will work).  You'd have to downgrade the virtual hardware, uninstall and reinstall VMWare tools, and make sure that the guest OS version is one that FUsion 8 supports.  It can be done, but it's fiddly.

colin1
Contributor
Contributor

27 imac png.png

0 Kudos
colin1
Contributor
Contributor

Thats the memory that is on 27imac its 24gb

on my 2008 iMac can i have VMware V8 and v12 as two independent softwares or would conflict  

0 Kudos