VMware Communities
kelru2000
Contributor
Contributor

2 vmdk files in one virtual machine

I had trouble shutting down Windows XP in VMware last night (on a MBP). This morning, I notice that I have 2 vmdk files in my Windows XP virtual machine. One is Windows XP Professional.vmdk and the other is Windows XP Professional-000001.vmdk.

It appears that Fusion is using the 000001 file, since its date is current and changes when I start and close that virtual machine. I looked in the log file and the 000001 file is the one defined as the scsi hard drive.

My question is whether I can safely delete the one that does not seem to be being used. (ie. Windows XP Professional.vmdk). It is taking up 15 gigs of hard drive space.

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I am new to OS X and this virtual world.

Thanks,

Karl

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

No, you cannot delete that one... you have taken a snapshot (and therefore are currently writing to the child disk, "Windows XP Professional-000001.vmdk". However, that child disk cannot stand alone - it still references the parent disk "Windows XP Professional.vmdk". If you delete the disk, your virtual machine will no longer boot/run/etc.!

kelru2000
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. I felt as though I shouldn't delete. But now what should I do?

I just looked more closely at the log file from last night. It says that it failed to combine the 000001 file with the original vmdk because of lack of disk space.

How can I get these two things combined again?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

You need free space equal to the Max size of the virtual disk to merge the snapshot

kelru2000
Contributor
Contributor

I finally figured it out, thanks to the comments here and some other threads on the site.

I had to make a new snapshot (there was no snapshot showing) and delete it. Fusion then cleaned up both the 000001 and the 000002 file. I am back to one virtual disk of a reasonable size!

Thanks!

Karl

0 Kudos