VMware Communities
jasonvp
Contributor
Contributor

2.0 and Unity: Staying in Unity Mode

Hey folks -

A potentially dumb question. I'm considering migrating over from Parallels, and am still within my 30-day trial here of Fusion 2.0. I insist on running the Windows VM in Unity mode (I do the same w/Parallels and their "Coherence"). However, the Windows OS is set to auto screen lock after like 10-15 minutes, given my corporate desktop rules. When I return to an idle VMWare instance that's been locked, trying to unlock it forces the VM out of Unity mode and into windowed mode. Once I unlock the screen, I then have to tell it to switch back to Unity.

Also, if I'm in unity and I send a CTRL-ALT-DEL (let's say I want the task manager, or I want to forcefully lock the VM) it knocks Fusion out of Unity mode.

These aren't deal breakers, but they are hellaciously annoying. Is there any way to keep Fusion running in Unity mode, regardless of what windows are up or what keys are pressed? Parallels is able to do this with Coherence. The login dialog, task manager dialog, etc, will all appear as stand-alone windows without knocking the VM into windowed mode. Can VMWare do the same?

Thanks!

jas

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jasonvp
Contributor
Contributor

Bump. Any help on this one?

jas

0 Kudos
rhind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Affraid I can't help with this but run in to the problem also. I'd rather have the Unity mode just cover the display like full-screen does when doing a ctrlaltdel (as I agree it should) rather than switching mode.

Unity still isn't quite as good as it should be with issues such as this and I still end up using full-screen mode in a separate space because of the unwanted switching back to windowed mode.

I hope these issues can be addressed in an update (doesn't look like we'll see them in 2.0.1 as that seems to be focusing on bigger issues discovered in 2.0 release but hopefully after that).

Cheers

Russell

0 Kudos
jasonvp
Contributor
Contributor

I hope these issues can be addressed in an update (doesn't look like we'll see them in 2.0.1 as that seems to be focusing on bigger issues discovered in 2.0 release but hopefully after that).

Well that's unfortunate. Do the VMWare developers pay attention to user feedback about things like this?

jas

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, we're listening.

0 Kudos
jasonvp
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, we're listening.

Cool. Feature request opened through the support page.

Thanks.

jas

0 Kudos
xreddy
Contributor
Contributor

These aren't deal breakers, but they are hellaciously annoying. Is there any way to keep Fusion running in Unity mode, regardless of what windows are up or what keys are pressed? Parallels is able to do this with Coherence. The login dialog, task manager dialog, etc, will all appear as stand-alone windows without knocking the VM into windowed mode. Can VMWare do the same?

This is supremely annoying. I'm going to have to just use full screen mode until this is resolved.

0 Kudos