VMware Communities
markcharney
Contributor
Contributor

2.0.2 won't start vm -- file protection error msg

Hello, I was usign 2.0.1 for my VMs. I tried upgrading to 2.0.2. When I went to start up my WinXP 32b VM (which was shut down), I received an error msg indicating that I should check to see if I had permissions on all the required files. I believe I did have appropriate permissions as things worked fine with 2.0.1. I checked my VM files and I did have access.

I reverted to 2.0.1 and things worked fine again. I did notice that when the VM boots with 2.0.1 I get a message that it cannot access the ISO that I had mounted as the CDROM image (the ISO has moved). I'm wondering if the 2.0.2 build is confusing that missing ISO with some sort of permissions problem?

I could go back and change the CDROM ISO, reinstall 2.0.2 and try again, but figured I would check here if anyone else is having similar / releated problems.

Thank you.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Need to see the vmware*.log files from within the Virtual Machine Package. Have a look at and specifically the "Collect vmware.log files" section however you should read the first part if you don't know where the Virtual Machines are stored and or how to open the package.

0 Kudos
markcharney
Contributor
Contributor

Okay. Thanks. I looked in the logs and the version=2.0.2 msg does not appear. I'll have to reinstall 2.0.2 and try it again.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
markcharney
Contributor
Contributor

I reinstalled 2.0.2 and my vm booted this time. This time I got the error msg about the missing ISO. Mysterious. Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried the steps listed in ?

What is the exact message you're seeing about the iso?

0 Kudos