VMware Communities
fladave
Contributor
Contributor

2.0.2 Update Problem

Anyone else have issues with the 2.0.2 udpate? After my update, starting fusion never moves past "loading"...

After several attempts to start fusion 2.0.2, including reboots, it would never get past the "loading" phase... I re-installed 2.0.1 and everything is back to normal...

Beware!!!

Three attempts to install 2.0.2 with the same result, never leaves the loading phase... I think I'll wait for 2.0.3....

Update...

Tried downloading 2.0.2 again this morning in case the download was "bad"... same result after the upgrade... I give up....

0 Kudos
12 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Well, I'm sure my system isn't loaded with as many programs, drivers, etc. as yours, but I've been moving between 2.0.0, 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 all day. Haven't seen this problem yet.

Here's some links that might help you give us more information:

HOWTO: Ask (and answer) questions

and

Thanks!

Kevin

0 Kudos
cjamesrun
Contributor
Contributor

I am stuck on the installation bullet with about a sliver of blue, and no movement at all.

I was upgrading from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2.

VM machines include win2000 win xp, and a vista.

Imac Mac os X, 10.5.6 2.8Ghz 4GB Ram.

No error message just hanging, not frozen. 'Preparing VMware Fusion' , 'Running VMware Installer'

0 Kudos
jedigrover
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly this same problem. It hangs at "Preparing VMware Fusion" / "Running VMware Fusion Installer script"

stats show Installer taking only about 2% cpu. Just a sliver of blue in the progress bar. Sits there for hours like that.

I wound up force-quitting the installer. Of course VMware won't run now. Tried to install again, same thing.

Methinks this one didn't get tested thoroughly enough.

Any advice on how to get back to functional, short removing everything and starting all over?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't have an answer off the top of my head, but I want you to know we're paying attention. I'll check around, and if no one else has come up with a good answer I'll try and get back in the morning Pacific time.

Kevin

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

{quote> I have exactly this same problem. It hangs at "Preparing VMware Fusion" / "Running VMware Fusion Installer script"

Did you check the MD5SUM of the .dmg image file you download against what is published to make sure it's not corrupt?

Have a look at: Using MD5 Checksums

VMware-Fusion-2.0.2-146107.dmg = (md5sum:b81f41b1fc6f458110b718ed7f28086b)

VMware-Fusion-2.0.2-146107-light.dmg = (md5sum:c107a016e245b05a08262c8da3113352)

0 Kudos
cjamesrun
Contributor
Contributor

I did a complete shut down, and restart, I also disconnected the second monitor that I had connected. After the complete restart, hard shut down, power up. I ran the installer without any other applications running. It ran and completed.

0 Kudos
jedigrover
Contributor
Contributor

That worked for me as well. It's all happy again. I have no idea what caused this. The md5 sum was fine on the download, and I made sure fusion was shut down before I started.

Oh well, all's well that ends well.

Thanks for the assist!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What likley happend is that the kext files we install failed to unload completly during the upgrade. In most cases this is worked around by simply doing a reboot of your system and then trying to install again.

0 Kudos
ronmarcusps
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I'm having a problem after upgrading to v2.0.2. I have 2 VM's, one Win XP and the other is the new Win 7 x64 beta. I just got a new 2.8 GHz iMac and transferred all of my files and apps via firewire using Migration Asst. and had some problems initially with the VM's not being found, but when I rebooted, and got the question "did you copy or move the VM and answered "copied" everything came up fine (except I had to reactivate Windows in both machines). Now I have a problem I didn't have in v 2.0.1 -- I have printer sharing turned on so I can print from the VM via my network printer (HP deskjet 6988 on my home wi-fi network using Airport Extreme "n"). Now when I boot up either VM I get the error: "serial0: Failed to connect to the Virtual Printer daemon after 25 attempts." I can't print at all from my Win 7 VM (build 7000) but I can print from the Win XP VM because I have the HP drivers installed on the VM. However, there are no compatible drivers (yet) for Win 7 beta, so I cannot download any to that VM and since I get the printer daemon error, it shuts off printer sharing so no printing from that VM at all (although my printer does appear in the printer control panel and when I attempt to print it shows up with a print job pending, and then just disappears). Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to be able to print from the Win 7 VM? I have not even been using the Win XP machine since I built the Win 7 VM because Win 7 is so much faster and more stable (except for the problem with printing). My system is an iMac 2.8 GHZ running OS 10.5.6 and the Fusion is v 2.0.2 (146107). I tried switching the Win 7 VM from NAT to Bridged networking, but still got the same error message. I built it using the suggested Win Server x64. I also get the same printer daemon error when I run my Windows XP VM, but that doesn't matter as far as printing because I have the drivers installed on the VM. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
mrvegas1586
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to add another data point.

Ran into the same issue this morning. Restarted the box and first thing I did was install the update. All seems to have gone smoothly.

0 Kudos
frankoid
Contributor
Contributor

, have you tried rebooting your host OS (i.e. rebooting your Mac?). I got the "serial0: Failed to connect to the Virtual Printer daemon after 25 attempts." error when starting a guest after upgrading Fusion from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2, so I rebooted my Mac and haven't seen the error again.

0 Kudos
ronmarcusps
Contributor
Contributor

frankoid, Thanks for the idea, but I tried rebooting both the guest OS and my Mac (several times) but I still get the "failed to connect to the Virtual Prinder daemon after 25 attempts" error message and then it disconnects my shared printers, so I still can't print. Anybody else have any ideas how to fix this? It's very frustrating since I otherwise really like Windows 7 (so much faster and more stable than XP and certainly better than Vista!). If only they made a better version of Quicken for Mac, I wouldn't have to fool around with Windows at all!

0 Kudos