VMware Communities
Siyfion
Contributor
Contributor

100% Disk Activity & Incredibly Slow - Fusion 6.0.2 + Windows 8.1 x64 Pro

I have my virtual machine running on a USB 3.0 device connected to my 15" MacBook Pro Retina, the USB drive seems reasonably quick in benchmarks, yet the virtual machine itself is horrifically slow to use. If I load up Task Manager I can see that the disk usage is stuck at 100% with transfer rates of between 1.0MB/s -> 8.0MB/s, with average response times of 8000ms+. Obviously something is seriously wrong with this setup, however before I go out and spend a few hundred pounds on an external SSD drive, I just wanted to make sure that it really was the cause!

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 09.38.27.png

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Siyfion
Contributor
Contributor

Great. A brand new G-RAID mini disk, with the following benchmark and it's STILL horrifically slow. I've also got the latest update to Fusion that came out since my last post. Any suggestions? Otherwise I'm going to be asking for a full refund soon, it's unusable.

Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 13.37.46.png

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

How much ram and how many cores do you have allocated to the guest?

0 Kudos
Siyfion
Contributor
Contributor

2GB of RAM and 2 Cores. As I said in my original post, it seems to be only the HDD activity that's maxing out. The RAM usage sits at around 1GB and the processor load never really does all that much, maybe 10-30% on average? I also had the disk thin provisioned to begin with, and now it's all allocated, but still no difference in speed. Smiley Sad

The Mac in question is a brand new 15" MacBook Pro Retina model and the new HDD drive is a G-Raid mini.

0 Kudos
amurrey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've not had much luck with running VM's under Fusion from external USB 3.0 drives.  I wonder if moving to a thunderbolt port would be faster?

0 Kudos
Siyfion
Contributor
Contributor

While I'd love to try this, having just spent close to £200 on an external RAID USB 3.0 drive, I'm sure as hell not going to be buying anything else! :smileycry:

0 Kudos
Siyfion
Contributor
Contributor

It is ridiculous that nobody from VMware has even bothered to make an official response to this query, surely this is an easy enough problem to replicate under lab conditions?! Currently I am responsible for our entire virtualised server infrastructure at my company and quite frankly, if this is the level of quality in software and support that VMware are providing, I'll be looking at alternatives shortly.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Just a note, this is not an official support-forum and is not monitored by VMware Support or Product Managers, this is a community based forum where people help people.

To get "official" support here is your options: Fusion Support, Training & Technical Documentation | United States

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Siyfion
Contributor
Contributor

Fair point, I didn't realise that support wasn't offered via these forums. However I have raised a support ticket with a link to this forum post, so I guess we'll see. Also, I can confirm that this is definitely a vmware issue, as Parallels works perfectly with the G-RAID drive. If they can't resolve the issue, I'll be asking for a full refund and simply switching over to Parallels instead.

0 Kudos
Rob_Convery
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get this resolved as I am also seeing it.

0 Kudos
lensv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'd like to know this too. I'm having similar issues :smileymischief:

0 Kudos