VMware Communities
CheMillan
Contributor
Contributor

10.6 Server virtual machine on a 2013 iMac i5 Intel Core Haswell processor?

Hello,

Is it possible to create a 10.6 Server virtual machine on a new 2013 iMac i5 Intel Core Haswell processor with 10.9 Mavericks pre installed on the iMac?   I need some advice if this can be done regardless of the difference in drivers that are on the 10.6.3 Server DVD.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Providing the installation media did not come bundle with a specific Apple computer and is a retail version then you should be able to install it.  That said, in some cases one might have to create an Image of the Physical Optical Media and install from the Image.  Have a look at: Creating a Fusion virtual machine with a disk image (1015406) Video & Creating a virtual machine running Mac OS X Server (2005793)

0 Kudos
CheMillan
Contributor
Contributor

The 10.6.3 Server DVD did NOT come bundled with a Mac.  It is a retail DVD I bought directly from Apple.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

There are some problems with 10.6.3, but 10.6.8 does install just fine.

0 Kudos
CheMillan
Contributor
Contributor

What kind of problems?   Man, I hope this is going to work.  The install DVD Server is a retail version I got from Apple [Mac OS X Server 10.6.3 REV 1 - Part Number MC588Z/A].

There is no way to update this install DVD to version 10.6.8 until 10.6.3 Server is install in a virtual machine and then update it to 10.6.8 using the Combo Update.

Otherwise I have wasted my money buying 10.6.3 Server for the sole purpose of installing in a Fusion virtual machine.  :smileyplain:

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have that very same DVD and it does install in VMware Fusion.  I've installed it in v3, v5 and v6.  However some users have reported having problems installing from optical media which is why in my first rely I told you "That said, in some cases one might have to create an Image of the Physical Optical Media and install from the Image. "! Smiley Wink

Personally I always make ISO Images of my Optical Media and install from Images and it installed without any issues for me! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Hmmm....I have the same one too (just checked) - I must have been thinking of a different set of versions.  Sorry about that.

Woody's comments on the physical CD are important - it didn't install from a disk for me.

0 Kudos
CheMillan
Contributor
Contributor

I made a .dmg disk image of the 10.6.3 Server install disc by clicking on the Pioneer-DVD RW internal device and NOT the optical Mac OS X Install DVD icon in Disk Utility.  The image is read-only.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It is not clear why you're telling us how you made the disc image however if you're having an issue, a .dmg image is not an ISO Image! Smiley Wink

I used Disk Utility selecting DVD/DC master for Image Format:, none for Encryption: and the file extension is .cdr, which is an ISO Image.

0 Kudos
CheMillan
Contributor
Contributor

Okay Thanks.  I will make an .iso as well so that I have a .dmg and .iso image ready just in case.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos