VMware Communities
Peterqwerty
Contributor
Contributor

10.14.6 supplemental update hangs VMWare fusion after restart/reboot

vProfessional Version 11.1.0 (13668589)

Hi after installation of the 10.14.6 supplemental update and the VM reboot it hangs on the Apple Logo

anyone else ?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There's currently a mega-thread at the forum that you might have missed.

This one:

VM became extremely slow after upgraded to macOS 10.14.6

It sounds -at the very least- similar to what you are seeing.

If you don't have the time to read 120 or so posts, then have a look at my blog post which lists the main posts of that thread here:

https://planetvm.net/blog/?p=67185

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Peterqwerty
Contributor
Contributor

After waiting for two hours at the apple logo  it not the problem with slow boot it just hangs

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Your initial post didn't mention how long you waited, so it is difficult for anyone reading it to guess.

There's also lots of other basic troubleshooting information missing, such as what guest OS you use, how you configured it, if this is happening with just one guest OS or with all of them etc..

Have you tried the workaround from that thread though? (lower the RAM of the VM to 2GB)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
Peterqwerty
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The VM image is just running normal sinds 10.14 with all updates between (containing Adobe CC Office etc.) so never had a problem till the 10.14.6 supplemental update.

it hangs at the apple logo . There is enough space. Switch from 8gb Ram to 2 Gb same problem. Will download 10.14 installer hopefully the latest release and instal that and

see of there is a difference.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

OK, please attach a vmware.log file or a VMware Fusion support bundle so that we can see what is happening.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
Peterqwerty
Contributor
Contributor

Update:

Downloaded latest 10.14.6 installer build 18G87, so if use this installer instead of the 10.14.6 supplemental update then there is no problem and reboot the VM image as normal.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Cool.

Glad to hear your issue is resolved and thanks for letting us know what worked.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
RobertTaylorSmi
Contributor
Contributor

I have a MacBook Pro purchased from Apple this summer (2019). 32 GB of RAM, iCore 7, 2.6 Ghz, 6 cores.

I am experiencing similar situation. Read most of the mega thread as well as the helpful post. However, nothing is working including 18G95 (there is no 18G97). My Windows 10 VM will work for awhile but even with only 2GB of RAM assigned to the VM eventually either the VM will hang (frozen image) or VMware Fusion hangs (VMWare not responding), or worse it hangs the entire Mac, or even worse it panic dumps!!!

If this is not fixed soon I will have to go to Parallels.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

What's the configuration of the VM?  Cores/Ram?

0 Kudos
RobertTaylorSmi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply!

Originally I gave the Windows VM 6 cores and 16GB of RAM (so half of the host). After the "upgrade" to 10.16.6 I followed some advice and lowered the RAM to 2GB and the cores to 2. Of course is this an unsupportable config for very long as I can only have very few programs open but alas this does not even work for very long.

My VM hard drive is one fully allocated block of 70GB. Some have suggested that this be converted several blocks of 2GB but again this is not something I am prepared to do unless someone says it is the key to success.

I should also mention that my host MacOS is encrypted.

Thanks for you help!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Couple of things.

- no individual VM should have more than N-1 physical cores assigned to it.  So on a 4-core MBP, that's 3, on a 6-core machine that's 5, otherwise you can starve the host.

- always leave at least 4 GB RAM for the host OS

- are the fans spiking? 

- disable antivirus scans and system recover snapshots inside the guest

After checking those settings, run activity monitor on the host and check 'memory pressure' to make sure that it's not swapping extensively.

Also, if you have a lot of snapshots, etc, try removing them (and disable autoprotect).

0 Kudos