VMware Communities
perjoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

10.10.2 and Fusion pro 7.1.0 superslow

Hello

I have the a problem with a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) 10.10.2 and Fusion pro 7.1.0.

The problems started after i upgraded to 10.10.2 and the windows 7 that run on fusion i slow and some times stop responding.

Someone that have any ide what to do ?

rgds/Per

0 Kudos
48 Replies
CuriosTiger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not experiencing this on my iMac running OS X 10.10.2 with Fusion Pro 7.1.0. (I do not use shared folders, however.)

I have not dared upgrade my work laptop, so it is still on 10.10.1 until VMware issues a fix and people confirm it's working.

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

> We have fixed the issue internally and we will release an update very soon now.

We have just released VMware Fusion 7.1.1 which should address this issue.

0 Kudos
Pistouille
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Just downloaded new package image (check for update option from application menu does not find 7.1.1 update) and back to all functionalities now after 7.1.1 update.

Thanks to vmware team

0 Kudos
silverstr8p
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The update wasn't available a few hours ago, but it looks like it's hitting the update servers because it now seems to be available in our region...thanks VMWare folks Smiley Happy (now we'll see if it helps)

0 Kudos
TimNelms
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Still having the same problems after the 7.1.1 release. Come on VMware - your product is unusable!

Tim

0 Kudos
abapman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MacBook Pro 8,1 early 2011, 8 GB RAM, core i5

Yosemite 10.10.2

Fusion Pro 7.1.1

So tired of fiddling with nvram settings that do not really solve the problem - need to restart my Win 7 Pro VM's frequently. Turning off file sharing is _no_ option.

This is eating up my time, and forcing me to go for alternative solutions - this I would like to avoid... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi all,

Here is one thing to try with the sharing enabled.

This is to disable the automatic file system updates being passed from the the OS X host to the Windows VMs so that Windows applications like Explorer can see

updates automatically without the user needing to refresh the Window.

One possibility is the file system events being tracked by the server is hitting issues, so disabling this and retrying would help eliminate that possibility.

To disable this you must suspend or power off your Windows VM.

Go to the Windows 7 VM's location in Finder (e.g. select folder entry "your-windows-vm-name.vmwarevm") and expand the package contents so you can see all the files.

(E.g. Control-mouse click and select "Show Package Contents")

Locate and edit the Windows VM VMX file (only one file ending with ".vmx") with an editor, like TextEdit or whatever you use.

Add the following line:

isolation.tools.hgfs.notify.enable = "FALSE"

Save the VMX file.

Restart Fusion and the Windows 7 VM.

Please report back any results changes or no changes with the effect of disabling the automatic event handling code.

Note, you can easily verify it has been disabled for sure, by opening an Explorer window on a shared folder so you can see its contents.

Then open the same folder in Finder on your Mac and add new files or folders or delete existing ones.

You should not see these changes be reflected in the Windows Explorer window until you hit F5 or select refresh from the menu options.

If this change succeeds in showing the performance issue goes away, it will help me verify a potential issue and a fix which I am working on but cannot verify it helps with this issue .

Thanks

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
fusion_user_mw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

iMac mid 2011, OS X yosemite 10.10.3, Fusion 7.1.1.... disabling event handling code made no difference for me. win 7 vm works great for a while after reboot, then gradually becomes slower and slower. very frustrating!

0 Kudos
TimNelms
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Folks,

Just got off a support call with VMware support

The graphics performance, CPU utilisation and generally poor performance is caused by the latest Microsoft Office products and their interaction with the VMware graphics drivers. VMware recommended turning of hardware graphics acceleration in MS Office 14 originally and we gradually turned off graphics setting in in Direct 9.0EX and OpenGL support (so no Aero) and eventually we even tried turning off add ons in MS Office.

The only real solution is to go back to a prior version of office.

Apparently there is a new graphics driver in the works designed to solve this problem, but there is no date yet.

Tim

0 Kudos