VMware Communities
troubador
Contributor
Contributor

1.1 upgrade screen resize not working

SUSE 10.2 or 10.3 upgraded from 1.0 to 1.1 of course tools said it was out of date. so I re-installed vmware tools now neither screen will resize properly. I can set fixed resolutions just fine whatever is selectable in linux but the auto resizing broke. I go back to a backup of the old machines before re-installing tools and run with outdated tools and they resize just fine. Help?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scottishwildcat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You may have run into the X.org version problem that's affecting all new Linux/Unix distros in Fusion right now-- for a possible workaround, see

0 Kudos
troubador
Contributor
Contributor

nope applied the patch recompiled restarted all successful. Now it's once again a fixed 1024x768 resolution and will not resize anymore.

Once again I can set the size to whatever I like using the resolution tool with suse, but it won't automatically resize. I'm going back to my old version of tools still where the resizing works great.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Could you attach a log of running vmware-config-tool.pl or at least the part that configures Xorg? You can use script to capture the whole log (default logging goes to typescript). Thanks

0 Kudos
troubador
Contributor
Contributor

ok it get's worse... The update from last night for SUSE 10.3 completely broke xwindows on vmware. even after re-compiling and running tools it breaks. I can't even get into x at all anymore the server crashes. And as for the logs, there's not a single error during the compilation or install of vmware tools. even now it runs perfectly but x abends about 3 seconds after starting. This one crashes with the previous version of tools as well even on vmware server.

0 Kudos
sprotsman
Contributor
Contributor

I did an initial install of OpenSUSE 10.3 and it was working great. Then I decided to run the Suse updater. I rebooted afterward and now I'm suffering from the same problem with X not starting. This is nuts! I have an unusable installation now! I get this:

tarvos login: gdm[2276]: WARNING: The display server has been shut down 6 times in the last 90 seconds. It is likely that something bad is going on. Waiting for 2 minutes before trying again on display :0.

Is there a solution?

I'm using VMWareTools-7.6.2-62537 and VMWare Fusion 1.1.

--Shawn

0 Kudos
sprotsman
Contributor
Contributor

Yay! I found a solution. This was from a suggestion off the Parallels forum for an Ubuntu 7.10 user and this worked with my OpenSUSE 10.3 installation. I booted into text mode so that I could actually log in to my VM:

$ sudo vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf

In the 'Device' insert this line:

Option "LVDSBiosNativeMode" "false"

Save and exit. Run 'startx' from the command prompt. Re-install VMWareTools, reboot and back to the good stuff! For whatever reason, font rendering even looks better now too!

0 Kudos