VMware Edu & Cert Community
MHAV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware Troubleshooting and Design Course

Hi Folks,

mid of 2010 i booked the new VMware Troubleshooting class offered by VMware. This was the most boring class i've ever had. It was not a troublesooting class it was a repeating the "Install and Configure" Class Material. Right now I'm in the Design Workshop and the same thing happens here. I can not belive that this is gonna happen.

Please VMware could you redo the material for this courses otherwise I can not suggest anyone to book this courses.

Regards

Michael

Regards Michael Haverbeck Check out my blog www.the-virtualizer.com
0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Note: I don't work for VMware, but I am a VCI and have taught the ICM, TS, and Design courses many times.

I don't agree for one second that the TS class is just the same as ICM, you would have learned how to use the vMA/vCLI, how to setup syslog, how to configure PVLANs, there's a huge list of content that's unique to the TS class - and that's before you even get to the break/fix labs.

As for the Design class, a huge amount depends on the instructor and the students who attend.

With both the TS and Design classes the instructor takes on more of a facilitator role over just being a lecturer.

Sorry to hear you have had a poor experience, but I personally don't feel that's down to the courseware/content - that's definitely not the feedback I get from my students when I deliver those courses.

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
dquintana
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello Mhav,

I see that in this courses all depends that the experience and energy of the instructor.

If you read the material in you house, sure you discover tips, practices and much more. But if your instructor haven't good experience or teaches very slow, maybe you cant take the best of them.

Diego

Ing. Diego Quintana - VMware Communities Moderator - Co Founder & CEO at Wetcom Group - vEXPERT From 2010 to 2020- VCP, VSP, VTSP, VAC - Twitter: @daquintana - Blog: http://www.wetcom.com-blog & http://www.diegoquintana.net - Enjoy the vmware communities !!!

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't get it.

I'm usually quite against classroom led training but I liked this one.

Every day was another lab and another thing broken by the instructor we were supposed to fix. There was never any "install and configure" style work on it. 

0 Kudos
pic
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I realize this thread is a bit old now, but I am just curious, Michael.  What would you have expected that could have/should have been different?  I hope you took the time to make some suggestions on the post class survey as we *do* use that feedback to improve the class design.

0 Kudos
slaclair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I absolutely loved the 4.x troubleshooting class, it was probably only 20% lecture.  80% of the classroom were VCP's so the instructor didn't have to waste any time and we pretty much wargamed the whole time, extremely beneficial.  My only complaint was how much service console related content there was but that's a minor complaint at best.

VCAP5-DCD/DCA/CIA, VCA4-DT
0 Kudos