VMware Edu & Cert Community
kc73837
Contributor
Contributor

VCP Certification without vmware background

Dear all,

I have no vmware background, but I have been told many times that this is the field to get into. I feel like getting a certification will be the best start point. Could any one suggest the courses i should take, how can i study for the course, and what i need to do.

I looked over the forum, but seems like most people that's in this has a lot of experience in this and the tests really need some hands-on experience.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would suggest building up some experience would be a good start point, the training can help with that - Install Configure Manage is the most popular vSphere course and also meets the training requirement for the certification.

This discussion was along the same lines: http://communities.vmware.com/message/2258883#2258883

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Definitely you would some hands on experience on the product before you can sit for the exam. vSphere ICM course is the pre-requisite for the course but you would spend more time to learning before you sit for the exam.

You can download the vSphere products for trail version and work on it. You can build a lab based on VMware workstation which is good for studying , There are also free online training videos available which can use

http://vmwarelearning.com/

If you search for vSphere lab you will get huge number of options, This one is good to start

Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab – Part 1: The Story | Boerlowie's Blog

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
ClaudiaWOODS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Dear kc73837,

You don't mention whether you are already working in IT or not.  Regardless, please know that technical certification is intended to be a marker of expertise and knowledge.  As such, certification is designed to be achieved by those who have practical, hands-on experience that goes beyond the classroom. So, to answer your question, attaining certification should not be your goal just yet.  It should come after you have experienced the product.

As my colleagues have suggested, there are training courses and a wealth of related technical information about VMware vSphere available.  As far as where you start - that depends on your learning style.  It is not uncommon for techs, engineers and admins to prefer to start by first "playing" with a system.  If that is your learning style, then do try to build yourself a mini-lab environment.  Again, as someone has already pointed out, VMware offers evaluation for almost all of its products.  If you do not have an environment, you can use an online lab for this.

If you are truly brand new to the arena of virtualization, however, I would suggest accessing an already built environment and experiencing it as an "end-user", which would involve just creating virtual machines, learning how interacting with the vSphere managment interfaces differs from interacting with the virtual computer itself, etc.  As both a tech and a VMware instructor, I can confirm that it is always best to have at least some general idea and exposure to a technology before taking a technical course. You should always have some specific ideas of what you want to get from a technical course BEFORE you sign up for the class.  Unlike end-user (non-technical) training, technical training cannot teach a person "everything" they need to know to administer a system.  We aim to get the main highlights covered in a technical training class.  However, every environment differs in the details of how a product is implemented and used.  So during class you need to apply your experience/exposure to frame the information into a context that works for your company.

VCP certification mandates two requirements: Pass exam and attend a qualifying course.  A popular urban myth is that the exam cannot be taken until one has attended a qualifying course.  NOT TRUE!!  You can take and pass the exam with a perfect score.  Just know that VMware will not award VCP status until the class sit has been completed, too..  As you can imagine, VMware and most people (self included) RECOMMEND taking a course before taking the exam.  The exam is focused on practical application and not just rote memorization.  So, again, when you are attending the technical course, you need to always understand not just what you are doing, but also WHY you are doing it.  If you get both those parts, then you should be able to apply that knowledge to pretty much any environment you work in.

To be clear - I am *not* saying not to get certified.  Gosh, I would lose my job as a VCI if no one got certified any more!!  :smileylaugh:   Keep becoming certified as your GOAL.  Your starting point, however, should be to learn something about the technology and get some practical experience using. it.  Formal classroom training can be an excellent way to learn about technology.  However, to get the most value from technical training, you should first have a basic idea of what the technology is about.

Hope this, along with the other posts, has answered your question.

Good Luck,

Claudia

"It's not the load that breaks you down. It's the way you carry it." - Lena Horne
kc73837
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for all the responses. They are all very helpful!

Claudia,

I completely agree with what you're saying. My goal is not really just to get certified, but also learn this. And yes, I am brand new to virtualization so I should get myself familiarized first.

I have a friend that's also studying this. He started out by taking the VTSP, and now he's studying for VCP. He bought a server and built a lab in his house. He bought a book and is learning this by going through the book and playing with the server. The book teaches him how to configure the server. He mentioned to me that having a "complete" lab will require somewhere around 5 servers, which is quite a bit of money. So the route he's taking is creating multiple virtual environments in the server.

He suggests that I take the VTSP first to familiarize myself with the terms and then i can start by doing what he's doing.

As an experienced professional, do you think this is a good way for me to tackle this certificate? Would this be a good way for me to start as an "end user" and learn the products thoroughly? Please, if you have any other suggestions, do let me know.

Thanks everybody, you guys are truly very helpful.

Also, just want to prepare myself for what's coming, could you please advise around how much is the course? If you can't tell me, can you point me to the right direction? I tried googling but I'm never sure which site to trust. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
ClaudiaWOODS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

kc73837,

Here is an interesting thread that may help you answer the question about how much the training classes cost:

How much does it cost VCP course on vSphere

Official classes are not cheap.  I would advise extremely caution if the class is less than about $2500.00USD.  Not just any training center can teach authorized VMware classes.  And if the class isn't authorized by VMware, it will not count towards certification.  Some tell-tale signs that the course is "gray market":

Training center is not listed on VMware's web site as an authorized training center:  VMware Training - Training Centers

Books do not  bear official VMware logos

Materials are photocopied or manually bound into binders

No registration directly to VMware Corporation (ESPECIALLY beware of training centers that say that they will '...take care of registration for you...'!!!

No official VMware transcript - again, generated DIRECTLY by VMware Corp - after course starts

No official evaluation at end of course.

No record with VMware that you have attended the course

Basically, if the training center is not on that list, then DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!  There is no such thing as "...Oh, VMware 'forgot'" or "Don't worry - we will be listed there before the class starts".  They are LYING to you, plain and simple.  BTW - It is NOT VMware's fault if you give some fake outfit your money.  It is very easy to confirm *any* authorized partner by just contacting the vendor directly, be it VMware, Cisco, Microsoft - you name it.

Your other question has already been answered.

Good Luck!

Claudia

"It's not the load that breaks you down. It's the way you carry it." - Lena Horne
0 Kudos