VMware Edu & Cert Community
Hondo829
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCI Sponsor requested

I have been sent here by VMware education since they thought this would be the easiest way for me to find a sponsor for my pursuit of VCI.  Is there any broker that would be able to sponsor me?

I would require the following for my VCI.  All of them would be provided by me and I would require no financial help to obtain the VCI.

1. Attend the 5.1 of the ICM twice.  They said that I should do this even though I took the 5.0.  Would do this ASAP but can't proceed until I have a sponsor.

2. Attend the VCI workshop.

To the best of my knowledge I have taken care of all the other according to VMware.

Thanks to all.  Hope to hear from you.

Tags (2)
15 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You don't say which country you are in, but regardless of that I would directly approach the VATCs in your area - I doubt personally that you'll get many responses on here.

Use this search tool to find training centres (VATCs): http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrreg/locations.cfm?ui=www_edu

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Hondo829
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your comments.  Sorry that I did not say that I was from the US.

I have directly approached a couple VATCs and since I don't directly work for them, it has not progressed.  They are checking with the legal departments to determine what being a sponsor would mean to them.  They want to know what responsibility they have to me.

As a result of this,  I contacted VMware directly and they suggested I post my request here.  So if this doesn't help, I am no worse off than I am now.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try and build a relationship with them - find out if they need VCI resource - make it clear you're willing to pay - offer them your services at a good rate for a certain number of classes - there are ways of getting them interested...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
RMonty
Contributor
Contributor

Send me an email as we're currently on the look for VCIs.  We sponsor.

roy.montenegro@vsandbox.com

0 Kudos
Hondo829
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I sent you an e-mail per your request.  If you did not receive this e-mail, please let me know.

0 Kudos
itfutures
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

We are based in Australia.

0 Kudos
Hondo829
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am going to post what I did so that everyone who is attempting to become a VCI has this information.  I am now a VCI but have found obtaining it to be an issue if you are not employed with a VATC.  I don't know how difficult it is to get sponsorship when you work with a VATC, but I imagine it is easier.

As stated above, my first issue was finding anyone within the VMware Education infrastructure to get me to the name of someone who could help.  I was assisted by my main contact but his hands were tied and could not recommend anyone specifically to me because this would show favoritism.  I understand this stance and it is just something that you have to understand as you progress through the system.  As the result, I didn't get sponsored for quite some time.  I was able to get a contact when I asked for the next higher level of management within education.  At that point I had someone I could talk to who worked with "contract"(I don't remember the exact word VMware uses for contractors) VCIs.  I then sat through the workshop with another contract VCI and his sponsor had not communicated with him for quite some time so I put him in touch with my sponsor.

So if you are trying to get a sponsor, expect it to be some work.  It involves more than just talking to a VATC, because they are concerned that they will somehow be liable to give me work.  But if you keep with it, you will make it through all the hoops.  It was a bunch of work to become a VCI, but it is well worth it. 

If I can help anyone through this process, please contact me so I can help you through the process.

Bob D. 

ClaudiaWOODS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Congratulations!  Welcome to the ranks of VCI.  It is a tough process, but it is worth it.

Regards,

Claudia

"It's not the load that breaks you down. It's the way you carry it." - Lena Horne
0 Kudos
Yacine_Benbelka
Contributor
Contributor

Hondo829​ I know this thread is now 8 years old, but I wish I could ask you a few questions. Private messages on VMware Communities do not seem to work. Is there any other way I can reach out?

Thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Nothing has changed regarding requiring sponsorship from the various comments already on this thread.

0 Kudos
Hondo829
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am here to ask questions of if you desire it.

0 Kudos
Yacine_Benbelka
Contributor
Contributor

Hondo829​ I am a VCI looking for VATC sponsorship. I contacted a few VATCs without success because I do not work for them directly. Could you please point me in the right direction?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the VATCs won't sponsor you, that usually means they also wouldn't have any freelance/contract work for you even if you were a VCI - perhaps there are already enough active VCIs in your geographical area/region.

0 Kudos
Yacine_Benbelka
Contributor
Contributor

scott28tt​ thank you for pointing this out. In that case, can I look for sponsorship outside EMEA?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The VCI program is global, so theoretically the answer is yes. Whether VATCs in further away territories would sponsor you would be the question...

0 Kudos