VMware Cloud Community
MickCampbell
Contributor
Contributor

vROps 8.6.2 - How to create a dashboard widget to show VMs with no vSphere Tags

Hi Folks

I am trying to create dashboards to ensure that all new VM deployments are compliant with our tagging strategy, i.e. that they have to have certain vSphere tags assigned to them on deployment such as "DR", "LineOfBusiness", "Environment", etc.

I am very new to vROps but have managed to create Object List widgets to show which VMs have the "Prod" environment tag and which VMs do not have any environment tag (basically list the VMs which don't have "Prod" AND don't have "Non-Prod" and don't have "DMZ")

However, I can't find a way to list objects with no vSphere tags at all. I've tried a couple of "does not exist" and "empty" filters but nothing shows any data.

Any Help Appreciated

Mick

0 Kudos
4 Replies
viquarhcimca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Add a filter criteria that says does not contain the existing tags

Thanks & Regards,

Mohammed Viquar Ahmed
MickCampbell
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Mohammed

I already have a filter to show if a VM doesn't have an environment tag, i.e. if it doesn;t have "Prod" AND it doesn't have "Non-Prod" AND it doesn't have "DMZ" but this is only good for showing up this category and I have multiple vSphere tag categories which I want to report on and hundreds of tags and so listing all of these is not practical.

What I need to do is show all VMs which do not have any vSphere tags at all

Any thoughts on how to do this?

Regards

Michael

0 Kudos
viquarhcimca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

viquarhcimca_0-1666346719072.png

I see this for custom groups, similar should be on that view s well

Thanks & Regards,

Mohammed Viquar Ahmed
MickCampbell
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Mohammed

Almost there! When I tried your "not exists" suggestion below it did not return any results but when I tried "is" and "none" as the value it is now working.

Regards

Michael