VMware Cloud Community
feter20
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

minimum vSAN hosts to install VCF??

i'm planning to use VCF and has just read the "Planning and Preparation Workbook" of the VCF4.0 from website here.

however, there's only three server nodes in my lab environment and the workbook revealed that 4 vSAN ready nodes is the minimum.

So my question is, is it possible to utilize only 3 server nodes for the deployment of VCF 4.0(or version 3.10) management domain?

Or  it is actually doable but  never recommended?

thanks in advance:smileyconfused:

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GaryJBlake
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Officially we only support with 4 x vSAN Ready Nodes, for example when you execute the Validate Configuration stage of VMware Cloud Builder the JSON Spec Validations task will fail with the error message 'At least 4 esxi hosts required. Found 3'.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GaryJBlake
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Officially we only support with 4 x vSAN Ready Nodes, for example when you execute the Validate Configuration stage of VMware Cloud Builder the JSON Spec Validations task will fail with the error message 'At least 4 esxi hosts required. Found 3'.

0 Kudos
feter20
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

GaryJBlake​ thanks a lot!

by the way,

does anyone know whether the existing vSphere HCI(say latest vSphere + vSAN + NSX-T) can be transformed to VCF4 or not?

or maybe the VCF requires everything start from nothing?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, you can't "trade in" existing licenses in exchange for VCF.

GaryJBlake
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No its not possible to convert or ingest an environment into SDDC Manager I'm afraid you have to deploy it from a greenfield deployment perspective.