VMware Cloud Community
mrctrs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Which architecture model deploy in VMware Cloud Foundation?

Hi,

I have an environment with 8 nodes and I wonder which architecture model should I deploy, if consolidated or standard.

In a standard solution if I have 4 nodes dedicated to management workload and the other 4 for user workloads, wouldn't it be underusing resources if in the consolidated model there would be 8 hosts for user and management workload?

Which are the standard model benefits and why should I go into what looks a more complex solution instead of using one single workload domain?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
paramoyoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi. As you know it's recommended to isolate mgmt domain from compute workload domain. Reasons? i.e. autonoumous lifecycle management, security reasons and so on.

Consolidated model is for 6 or less hosts. The cluster design must consider the workloads that the cluster handles. If you can't count your workload/vms, you can start with consolidated model (start with 4 hosts) and convert to the standard architecture later on (if workload grows up) by creating a compute workload domain and moving VMs to the newly created WD.

From DR perspective, having 8 host you can thing about vSAN stretched cluster. But anyway i would recommend standard model.

Br

Maciej

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
paramoyoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi. As you know it's recommended to isolate mgmt domain from compute workload domain. Reasons? i.e. autonoumous lifecycle management, security reasons and so on.

Consolidated model is for 6 or less hosts. The cluster design must consider the workloads that the cluster handles. If you can't count your workload/vms, you can start with consolidated model (start with 4 hosts) and convert to the standard architecture later on (if workload grows up) by creating a compute workload domain and moving VMs to the newly created WD.

From DR perspective, having 8 host you can thing about vSAN stretched cluster. But anyway i would recommend standard model.

Br

Maciej

0 Kudos
mrctrs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answer!

0 Kudos