VMware Cloud Community
danielll
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Cloud Foundation in Thesis Project

I am doing my University Master Thesis Project in cloud computing.

I found the VMware Cloud Foundation and think it looks interesting.

I would love to include working with it in my project.

My question is:
I do not have the budget to purchase anything for this.

Is there some kind of special license for students to use so they does not need to purchase the product, or does I need to buy it like everybody else?

Thanks!

Regards.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
frank_wegner
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There are two aspects you need to consider if you want to work with VMware Cloud Foundation in full:

1. Software - we might perhaps find a way to offer licenses for research purposes, but...
  2. Hardware - that is the tricky piece: You need at least 4 (better 12) supported servers, supported Top-of-Rack switches and a supported management switch which can easily sum up to a 6-digit dollar amount. You will have to find a sponsor for this. VMware does not sponsor hardware, so it must be someone else.

Running the VMware Cloud Foundation software in a nested environment is not supported. We are thinking about this as a potential option in the future.

danielll I'll ping you 1:1 with more options.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
frank_wegner
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There are two aspects you need to consider if you want to work with VMware Cloud Foundation in full:

1. Software - we might perhaps find a way to offer licenses for research purposes, but...
  2. Hardware - that is the tricky piece: You need at least 4 (better 12) supported servers, supported Top-of-Rack switches and a supported management switch which can easily sum up to a 6-digit dollar amount. You will have to find a sponsor for this. VMware does not sponsor hardware, so it must be someone else.

Running the VMware Cloud Foundation software in a nested environment is not supported. We are thinking about this as a potential option in the future.

danielll I'll ping you 1:1 with more options.

0 Kudos