VMware Cloud Community
AndrewCirel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VCF Offline Upgrade - the upgrade button disappears after uploading the manifest

We have VCF 4.4.0 and I'm trying to upgrade to 4.4.1.

We are doing the lcm offline process as our SDDC Manager and vCenter server do not have internet access.

After uploading the manifest and patch bundle to the SDDC Manager it can see 4.4.1

So, I then browse to "Inventory > Workload Domains", select the Management Domain

I click on "Update/Patches"

Under "Available Updates" I select "SELECT CLOUD FOUNDATION VERSION" and then "Cloud Foundation 4.4.1.0", but the "Schedule Upgrade / Upgrade" button doesn't appear.

When you select "Cloud Foundation 4.4.1.0" a yellow message flashes up so quickly you can't read it, but it is something about needing to upgrade management before workload..

I've tried this process in 2 environments and on the second one I forgot to upload the manifest and when I did this the "Schedule Upgrade / Upgrade" was available but it failed the prechecks.  So, I then uploaded the manifest and the "Schedule Upgrade / Upgrade" button disappears and never reappears.

Any ideas of why the "Schedule Upgrade / Upgrade" button disappears and how to get it back?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewCirel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I’ve finally got an update button after I uploaded the bundle-drift patch file.

I’m afraid this document from VMware is not correct: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Cloud-Foundation/4.4/vcf-lifecycle/GUID-8FA44ACE-8F04-47DA-845E-E0...

If you follow the document and select to download patches it doesn’t download the bundle-drift file which means you don’t get either the “schedule update” or “update now” buttons.

So, you need to run the lcm download twice to create two folder structures, vcf-bundle-patch and vcf-bundle-drift, the first time choosing patch and the second time specifically choosing the drift patch bundle.

You then need to upload both folders to /nfs/vmware/vcf/nfs-mount

You can then run the following:

cd /opt/vmware/vcf/lcm/lcm-tools/bin

./lcm-bundle-transfer-util --upload --bundleDirectory /nfs/vmware/vcf/nfs-mount/vcf-bundle-patch

./lcm-bundle-transfer-util --upload --bundleDirectory /nfs/vmware/vcf/nfs-mount/vcf-bundle-drift

After this, I now have both of the buttons.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AndrewCirel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Campos68,

The link you sent was to do with Horizon, not VCF (VMware Cloud Foundation).

Thanks, Andrew.

0 Kudos
viquarhcimca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Andrew,

VCF Upgrade Sequence is like this below : 

1st you will have to upgrade your Management Domain Components i.e. 

1. SDDC Manager .

2. vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager, vRealize Suite products, and Workspace ONE Access (if applicable).

A .vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager

B. vRealize Log Insight

C. vRealize Operations

D. vRealize Automation

E. Workspace ONE Access

3. NSX-T

4. VC (this will be only the Mgmt VC , not all the VI WLD VCs it will upgrade ) 

5. ESXI Patch /VxRail (if this is VCF on VxRail ) 

Once you you complete all these components upgrade , that means you MGMT Domain is fully upgraded to Target version . 

Only after this the SDDC Manager LCM will allow you to upgrade the VI WLD Workload Domain. that sequence is followed below . 

1. NSX-T 

2. VC 

3. ESXI /VxRail (if this is VCfonVxRail)

Please check the below document : 

Upgrade Prerequisites (vmware.com)

Upgrading to VMware Cloud Foundation 4.4 or 4.4.1

Upgrade the Management Domain to VMware Cloud Foundation 4.4 or 4.4.1

Upgrade VI Workload Domains to VMware Cloud Foundation 4.4

coming back to the point where you dont see the manifest file miss and upload it again . Hoping u have taken a snapshot before u do the precheck and upload any files.  if u havent dont it please do that going in ur up coming upgrades. 

if you are sure u have updated teh manifesto files and all bundles are in place. 
try restart the lcm serivce i.e. 

systemctl restart lcm 

Thanks & Regards,

Mohammed Viquar Ahmed
AndrewCirel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I’ve finally got an update button after I uploaded the bundle-drift patch file.

I’m afraid this document from VMware is not correct: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Cloud-Foundation/4.4/vcf-lifecycle/GUID-8FA44ACE-8F04-47DA-845E-E0...

If you follow the document and select to download patches it doesn’t download the bundle-drift file which means you don’t get either the “schedule update” or “update now” buttons.

So, you need to run the lcm download twice to create two folder structures, vcf-bundle-patch and vcf-bundle-drift, the first time choosing patch and the second time specifically choosing the drift patch bundle.

You then need to upload both folders to /nfs/vmware/vcf/nfs-mount

You can then run the following:

cd /opt/vmware/vcf/lcm/lcm-tools/bin

./lcm-bundle-transfer-util --upload --bundleDirectory /nfs/vmware/vcf/nfs-mount/vcf-bundle-patch

./lcm-bundle-transfer-util --upload --bundleDirectory /nfs/vmware/vcf/nfs-mount/vcf-bundle-drift

After this, I now have both of the buttons.

NFerrar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just resurrecting this to say thanks for posting the solution, I just had the same issue with a 4.4.0.0 to 4.5.1.0 upgrade and after trying a few other things (working with VMware Support via an SR) but not managing to find a solution I stumbled across this thread. Hopefully VMware will now finally update the documentation!

0 Kudos
sreddy3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

can you please share the SR number for this solution

0 Kudos