VMware Cloud Community
Abhutta22
Contributor
Contributor

VCF Consolidated/Standard Architecure

If I am running a consolidated architecture with general workloads and say 6 hosts

If I needed to add another WLD for say Tanzu and therefore convert to a Standard deployment, do I need to separate out the General workloads from my consolidated architecture or can I leave my original 6x nodes in place as mgmt/general on my management WLD and just deploy my new nodes for Tanzu WLD?

I'm guessing not but no clear documentation to suggest otherwise

Thanks

0 Kudos
14 Replies
viquarhcimca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The term consolidated is used to refer to running VM workloads and Management VM on the Management Domain, but the term consolidated architecture is also used to refer to running a workload on the Management Domain. 
When u create a WLD , it will only run with workload clusters , not Management VM i.e. SDDC VM , VC , NSXT etc . 

Since you are MGMT is Consolidated , u can deploy Tanzu CLuster on MGMT or create a New WLD for Tanzu Cluster. 

Thanks & Regards,

Mohammed Viquar Ahmed
8islas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Agree with @viquarhcimca 

As you add additional hosts to a VMware Cloud Foundation system deployed on a consolidated architecture, you can migrate to the standard architecture by creating a VI workload domain and moving the customer workload VMs from the compute resource pool to the newly-created VI workload domain. After moving these VMs, you might need to update shares and reservations on the compute resource pool in the management domain.

References:
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Cloud-Foundation/4.4/vcf-getting-started/GUID-C6AF75AE-569C-49F8-A...

About Architecture and Design for a vSphere with Tanzu Workload Domain
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Validated-Design/6.2/sddc-architecture-and-design-for-a-vsphere-wi...

Regards.

LucianoPatrão

You can extend your WLD or create a new one. No need to create a new one.

If your ESXi disks are getting full you can add more disks to have more space on your vSAN.

Check this blog post I wrote about adding more space to your Workload Domain.

Add disks to your VCF through ESXi vSAN hosts 

I hope this helps.

Luciano Patrão

VCP-DCV, VCAP-DCV Design 2023, VCP-Cloud 2023
vExpert vSAN, NSX, Cloud Provider, Veeam Vanguard
Solutions Architect - Tech Lead for VMware / Virtual Backups

0 Kudos
Abhutta22
Contributor
Contributor

"Since you are MGMT is Consolidated , u can deploy Tanzu CLuster on MGMT or create a New WLD for Tanzu Cluster. "

To confirm, I have 6x nodes in a Consolidated Architecture running the Mgmt workloads and General workloads.

I want to add Tanzu in its own WLD, therefore switching to Standard Architecture.  I add 4x hosts for the new Tanzu VI WLD.

Can I keep the 6x nodes in my Management cluster running the Mgmt roles and the General Workloads.  Or, now that it is classed as "Standard Architecture" do I now need to remove the General workloads into their own VI WLD, leaving the 4x nodes to run the Mgmt WLD?

0 Kudos
LucianoPatrão

You can add more ESXi hosts to your VCF, and then after they are included, you can create a new Workload Domain and use it for the Tanzu.

Luciano Patrão

0 Kudos
Abhutta22
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

Would I need to change my Management WLD to just run the Management roles on 4x nodes, as at that point it has effectively become a Standard Architecture

Or can I leave my Management and General workloads consolidated on the original 6x nodes and add new nodes for the new WLD.  Maybe separating the General workloads out at a later date?

0 Kudos
LucianoPatrão

You are creating a new Workload Domain for the new Cluster. That is it.

Cant understand want you to want to do with the Management Workload Domain.

Here is a blog post about Standard Architecture and Consolidated architecture.

http://vpirate.in/2019/07/02/vmware-cloud-foundation-vcf-consolidated-and-standard-architecture/ 

Reading the above blog post, you can understand a bit about that.

I hope this helps.

Luciano Patrão

0 Kudos
LucianoPatrão

Also before doing any changes, read the Known Issues for VCF.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Cloud-Foundation/4.4/rn/VMware-Cloud-Foundation-44-Release-Notes.h... 

Luciano Patrão

0 Kudos
Abhutta22
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.  It may be my explanation.

Scenario:

6x hosts = Deployed in VCF Consolidated Architecture
    --Runs the management workloads and General workloads
    --Resource Pools used for prioritising resources to the Mgmt workloads

Customer wants to deploy Tanzu, given the node sizes etc then this is best run a new WLD

4x nodes added to VCF and new WLD created for Tanzu

VCF Deployment is now 6x MGMT/General Workloads and 4x Tanzu nodes in their own VI WLD
    --Now this has a separate VI WLD, it is now a Standard Architecture, not Consolidated.

Question to be answered - Can I keep my Consolidated setup of 6x Mgmt/General workloads in place, or now that it is in a Standard Architecture do I have to separate the General workloads out?

For example, 4x Mgmt WLD, 4x Tanzu VI WLD and then add an additional host for 3x General Workload VI WLD

0 Kudos
LucianoPatrão

As you can see in the blog post, you need at least 7 nodes for a Standart Architecture. Below that is always a Consolidated Architecture.

All management VMs are in the Management Workload Domain shared with the rest.

No need to separate anything. As I said initially, if you add extra 4 nodes, you can create a new Workload Domain and work from there.

Or your plan is to add those 4 new nodes in the Management Workload Domain?

Luciano Patrão

0 Kudos
viquarhcimca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sir if Your MGMT is Consolidated , then to change it back to Standard it not supported. you will have to re-deploy your VCF. 

2nd thing is , You can have Maximum of 7 nodes in the MGMT domain . if you are creating your Cluster of MGMT with 6 node , u can expand 1 more node. 

At any given point of time you u can expand your VI WLD , if you started with 3 nodes u can expand it . 

Understand that Consolidated/Standard arch is for MGMT Domain , your mgmt VM i.e. SDDC ,VC , NSX should must be running on MGMT Domain Only. u cannot run these VMs on VI WLD . its not support it will break the VCF design. 

Your VI WLD will be only used for Workloads i.e. sql,horizon,prod, dev etc etc. hope its clear. 

Thanks & Regards,

Mohammed Viquar Ahmed
Abhutta22
Contributor
Contributor

As you can see in the blog post, you need at least 7 nodes for a Standart Architecture. Below that is always a Consolidated Architecture.

Agreed, I'm suggesting that if you had 6x nodes in a Consolidated Architecture (where management and VI WLD co-exist), if I add a new VI WLD to run a new workload - can I leave my mgmt and other VI WLD Co-existing.  Or once I go Standard does the Mgmt WLD need to be just the management VM's and the previously co-existing VI WLD need to be split - the blog doesn't cover this

All management VMs are in the Management Workload Domain shared with the rest.

Yep, but as detailed above, if I ADD new WLD (so physically add 3x net new nodes and deploy say Horizon), can my previous mgmt and VI WLD VM's still co-exist as is or do they need to be separated in Mgmt and VI WLD

No need to separate anything. As I said initially, if you add extra 4 nodes, you can create a new Workload Domain and work from there.

Can you provide documentation that backs this up as its not in the VCF design guide?

Or your plan is to add those 4 new nodes in the Management Workload Domain?

Nope, assume 6x nodes in a Consolidated Architecture and I add 4x nodes in a separate VI WLD

0 Kudos
Abhutta22
Contributor
Contributor

Sir if Your MGMT is Consolidated , then to change it back to Standard it not supported. you will have to re-deploy your VCF. 

Disagree, you can convert to Standard by adding a new VI WLD and migrating non-mgmt workloads out of the Mgmt WLD

2nd thing is , You can have Maximum of 7 nodes in the MGMT domain . if you are creating your Cluster of MGMT with 6 node , u can expand 1 more node. 

Can you provide documentation that supports this maximum nodes in the Management cluster?

At any given point of time you u can expand your VI WLD , if you started with 3 nodes u can expand it . 

Understand that Consolidated/Standard arch is for MGMT Domain , your mgmt VM i.e. SDDC ,VC , NSX should must be running on MGMT Domain Only. u cannot run these VMs on VI WLD . its not support it will break the VCF design. 

It has never been the plan to move Mgmt VM's to the VI WLD - its whether a consolidated architecture state can remain whilst adding new VI WLD

Your VI WLD will be only used for Workloads i.e. sql,horizon,prod, dev etc etc. hope its clear. 

0 Kudos
LucianoPatrão

@viquarhcimca wrote:

No true.

VMware statement

As you add additional hosts to a VMware Cloud Foundation system deployed on a consolidated architecture, you can convert to the standard architecture by creating a VI workload domain and moving the user workload domain VMs from the compute resource pool to the newly created VI workload domain. After moving these VMs, you may need to update shares and reservations on the compute resource pool in the management domain.

Luciano Patrão

0 Kudos