VMware Cloud Community
AhmadJamilHasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Using SDDC Manager on unsupported hardware

Thank you for the video.

Is there any way to build the entire SDDC stack on top of unsupported hardware, nested virtualization or let's assume we have 4 server nodes with 1 SSD and 1 HDD on each one, vCenter installed, vSAN cluster is built as well, NSX also deployed on top of these 4 servers, now can we integrate this setup with SDDC manager or SDDC manager has nothing to do after we deployed each stack manually.

Many thanks,

Ahmad

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
frank_wegner
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I discussed running SDDC Manager on nested virtualization in the thread SDDC test / dev environments ?:

We do have VCF running as a nested system inside VMware for testing purposes. You'd need to tweak the software to disable all hardware validation which is built into VCF. This is not officially documented. Due to the extra QA overhead we are not (yet) releasing this to customers or partners.

The automation SDDC Manager provides for all deployment steps of the SDDC software stack requires the use of supported hardware. You can only use switches and servers as specified on the VMware Compatibility Guide for VMware Cloud Foundation. There is no exception. So your example would not work.

Also, SDDC Manager only works if it controls the stack from the beginning, so there is no way to add SDDC Manager to an existing environment. It always starts with blank hardware which gets turned into a ready SDDC infrastructure in a fully automated way.

AhmadJamilHasan​ - if your use case is to test the SDDC stack itself (vSphere, vSAN, NSX, etc.) you can always check out the VMware Validated Designs as guidance to do it on your hardware. But you always need to check the VMware Compatibility Guide for the respective software and hardware combination. However, if your use case is to test VMware Cloud Foundation and the SDDC Manager then my answer in the thread Cloud Foundation (POC) applies.

Let us know if this answers your question, or if you need anything else.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
frank_wegner
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I discussed running SDDC Manager on nested virtualization in the thread SDDC test / dev environments ?:

We do have VCF running as a nested system inside VMware for testing purposes. You'd need to tweak the software to disable all hardware validation which is built into VCF. This is not officially documented. Due to the extra QA overhead we are not (yet) releasing this to customers or partners.

The automation SDDC Manager provides for all deployment steps of the SDDC software stack requires the use of supported hardware. You can only use switches and servers as specified on the VMware Compatibility Guide for VMware Cloud Foundation. There is no exception. So your example would not work.

Also, SDDC Manager only works if it controls the stack from the beginning, so there is no way to add SDDC Manager to an existing environment. It always starts with blank hardware which gets turned into a ready SDDC infrastructure in a fully automated way.

AhmadJamilHasan​ - if your use case is to test the SDDC stack itself (vSphere, vSAN, NSX, etc.) you can always check out the VMware Validated Designs as guidance to do it on your hardware. But you always need to check the VMware Compatibility Guide for the respective software and hardware combination. However, if your use case is to test VMware Cloud Foundation and the SDDC Manager then my answer in the thread Cloud Foundation (POC) applies.

Let us know if this answers your question, or if you need anything else.

AhmadJamilHasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your response.

Actually, my case is to play with VCF on any hardware or in nested hom lab (server,storage, switches) to see how SDDC manager simplifies the build up process. is there any chance to publish the tweaking approach on nested system in the near future ?

0 Kudos
frank_wegner
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We have no plans supporting nested SDDC Manager and VMware Cloud Foundation anytime soon. Please use the other options as described in the thread Cloud Foundation (POC)

tenthirtyam
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @Ahmad.

While we do have a mechanism to deploy VMware Cloud Foundation in the nested construct for SocaiLab events and rapid demo environments, it's not something that we're currently planning to make public.

0 Kudos
AhmadJamilHasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ryan,

Would it be possible to share this mechanism with me as I have tried to reach someone in VMware in order to see if we can arrange for SociaLab here in Jordan via Jordan VMUG however I was unable to reach anyone.

my request might be a little bit weird but basically we have this desire to organize VMware workshops that covers all the SDDC stack either as an entire solution or product by product (vSAN, NSX, ....)

Many thanks,

Ahmad

0 Kudos
tenthirtyam
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Ahmad,

I'd suggest working with our Hands-on Labs team and schedule the "Hands-on Lab in a Box" for such an event. See Introducing Hands-on Labs in a Box - VMware Hands-On Lab (HOL) Blog - VMware Blogs

SeanArmstrong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Frank

I work for a VMware partner and we hae an existing nested VCF 4.1 soltion deployed. I have just been running through the Upgrade proces to 4.2 and the PreCheck fails on the HCL check (obviously the virtual controller is not on the HCL). 

I attempting to run through the update with our consultants to familiarise them with the process. Is there a way around this? Can the check be removed for this type of environment?

Regards
Sean

0 Kudos
CyberNils
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, please take a look at this:

https://virtualfrog.wordpress.com/2020/10/08/vmware-cloud-foundation-how-to-skip-vsan-hcl-checks-for...

I successfully upgraded from 4.1 to 4.2 following this.

Nils Kristiansen
https://cybernils.net/
0 Kudos
SeanArmstrong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked perfectly - Thnak you!

Regards,
Sean

0 Kudos