VMware Cloud Community
feter20
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The amount of HW components impact on VCF4 deployment?

Well... I guess this question would be troublesome.

The VCF 4.0 planning & preparation workbook stated that the management domain shall follow the minimum requirements in figure below:

pastedImage_0.png

But in some situation such as POC or lack of funds, the requirements will possibly not be able to meet.

So, if lack of some HW components, will the deploy of VCF4 be halted?

(say only 192GB memory/ only 1TB total vSAN capacity/ only 1 GbE NICs are utilized.)

Or maybe it is still doable but no one in the world will suggest me to do such thing?

Highly appreciated any comments!!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

For production, supported uses, the requirements are the requirements and you either meet them or you don't. If it's for a lab or PoC, it's a different situation.

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can install it with smaller hosts if you are doing a PoC and I have worked with customers who have. The problem is if you run out of resources (which one of my customers did), the VC or some other component goes unresponsive and the VCF deployment fails with issues relating to not being able to reach an URL etc.

Make sure you look at the total resources required by the management domain servers and have adequate resources to satisfy that.

I can confirm that it will work for compute but network I'm not sure if there is a requirement for 10G cards. I haven't seen any step in the validation process that looks at the physical NIC card details. So why not try it and let us now. I'm sure you will not face any issues. I'd be surprised if you do.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos