VMware Cloud Community
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dedicated ESXi host and private switch for via?

We are preparing to implement our first VCF solution and VMware have suggested the best approach would be to run the via VM on an ESXi management host rather than use a laptop for stand up.

Looking at the VCF documentation the requirements for this type of deployment seem very specific in terms of having an ESXi host configured with a vmk0 address of 10.1.0.200 and also a private physical switch connected from this ESXi host to the management switch for VCF.

My question is could an existing ESXi host be used to run the VIA VM rather than a dedicated one to avoid this overhead? If so, is there a way to change the need for this specific IP address requirement on vmk0?

The other point I’m looking for clarification on is the need for the dedicated private switch. If i choose to deploy the solution using a laptop i connect directly to my management switch and run the deployment but when i use an ESXi host to run via it adds this additional physical switch to the solution.

Please can someone help me understand the above.

many thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update 13th June

VMware have informed me that this is an error in the documentation and there's no dependency on a specific IP address (10.1.0.200) for vmk0.

There also seems to be some confusion over the need for a private switch as part of this solution.

If I receive further information I'll update.

0 Kudos
YC_Hyun
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

In my case, I used 5-port mini switch to connect management ESXi host and vCF Management Switch(I used Quanta Mgmt Switch). It was work well.

I do not know exactly how it works, but it is important that Port 48 and Mgmt Port of the vCF management switch(Quanta Mgmt Switch) are connected to the private switch.

If either is not connected, the Imaging operation will be failed. I think each port seems to be used for another purpose.

I hope this information helpful.

Thank you

Hyun

0 Kudos
ronin07
Contributor
Contributor

This really helped man. Thanks.

Potato Streams Cotomovies

0 Kudos
marthneilson
Contributor
Contributor

VMware have educated me this is a blunder in the documentation and there's no reliance on a particular IP address (10.1.0.200) for vmk0. There additionally is by all accounts some disarray over the requirement for a private switch as a feature of this arrangement. On the off chance that I get additional data I'll refresh. Adobe Zii 2020

0 Kudos