VMware Cloud Community
barnette08
Expert
Expert

Cloud Builder Maximum Hosts

Has anyone tried to deploy more than 4 hosts via Cloud Builder bringup?  Do we know how many hosts VCF Cloud Builder supports?  I know you can do 4 hosts and then once SDDC Manager is online you can add to the mgmt domain via SDDC Manager Commission host workflows, but was curious what the true supported number is in UI/JSON for Cloud Builder.

4 Replies
RickVerstegen
Expert
Expert

AFAIK this is not possible. As you already stated do 4 hosts and add hosts to the management domain as soon as SDDC manager is online.

If you use the VCF Consolidated deployment up to 64 hosts can be supported (to the limits of vCenter) but depends on usage.

Was I helpful? Give a kudo for appreciation!
Blog: https://rickverstegen84.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/verstegenrick
0 Kudos
barnette08
Expert
Expert

Interesting.  Playing devil's advocate, how would you do that?  Through the spreadsheet or custom JSON file?  The reason I ask is that as far as I'm aware the only ''difference'' from a CB perspective in the standard and consolidated architectures is the deployment of the 4 vs. 2 RPs.  I've been able to set the consolidated RPs to n/a in the spreadsheet so that they aren't deployed (not a fan of any RPs Smiley Happy).

ParameterValue
Resource Pool SDDC MgmtSpecify the vCenter resource pool name for management VMs.
Resource Pool SDDC EdgeSpecify the vCenter resource pool name for NSX VMs.
Resource Pool User EdgeSpecify the vCenter resource pool name for user deployed NSX VMs in a consolidated architecture.
Resource Pool User VMSpecify the vCenter resource pool name for user deployed workload VMs in a consolidated architecture.
0 Kudos
heathbarj3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is possible to do this with JSON and API for bring up. I don't know that anyone has tested Maximums.

Heath Johnson

VCF Technical Marketing    

barnette08
Expert
Expert

Meaning theoretically 64 in a standard sddc via JSON, correct?  I understand no mgmt domain in a standard sddc would have that many, I was just trying to confirm more than 4.  I’ll try to test it and let you all know the outcome.

0 Kudos