VMware Cloud Community
aslk5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Changing vcenter unique id

Can I change the vcenter unique id?  This is the setting that controls the 4th octet of the mac addresses for vms (and maybe other things?).

If I were unlucky and two vcenters had the same ID (whether the vcenter is in VCF or not) can I safely change the ID of the vcenter in VCF and reboot it will will that causea problem for SDDC manager or some of the other components?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

vCenter server Unique id in 2 digit which generated randomly. You can change this value to a number from 0 through 63 to identify each vCenter Server system running in a common environment. You can change the vCenter Server ID, managed address, and name. You might need to make changes if you run multiple vCenter Server systems in the same environment.

Prerequisites

Required privilege: Global.Settings

Procedure

1. In the vSphere Client, navigate to the vCenter Server instance.

2. Select the Configure tab.

3. Under Settings, select General.

4. Click Edit.

5. In the Edit vCenter Server Settings dialog box, select Runtime Settings.

6. In vCenter Server unique ID, enter a unique ID.Y

7. In vCenter Server managed address, enter the vCenter Server system address.

The address can be IPv4, IPv6, a fully qualified domain name, an IP address, or another address format.

8. In vCenter Server name, enter the name of the vCenter Server system.

If you change the DNS name of the vCenter Server, you can use this text box to modify the vCenter Server name to match.

9. Click Save.

Note: If you made changes to the vCenter Server system unique ID, you must restart the vCenter Server system for these changes to take effect.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
aslk5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This doesn't answer my question at all. I know how to change the ID, I'm asking if doing do will cause a problem in VCF. Will it cause a problem with SDDC manager or other components?

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

There will be no problem if you change the vCenter Unique id. May I know why you are looking to change this. are you notice In your VCF environment and non VCF vCenter are using same vCenter Unique id. If not using same not require to change it.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos