VMware Beta Community
ccalvetbeta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there a setting to prevent the deletion of VM in case of error?

Issue: The vapp is created, then the VM "EPHEMERAL_TEMP_VM".
Later the VAPP and VM are removed and the cycle is then repeated.

I would like to analyse all logs in the VM. But when it is deleted i may have missed the latest.
Is there an equivalent to the setting "rollback:false" in the legacy CSE?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sakthi2019
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We have this feature in the upcoming GA release that prevents the deletion of EPHEMERAL_TEMP_VM

But as a workaround, you may either want to stop the CSE service where the OVA is installed. Powering off the OVA vm also brings down the service. Either of them is required to stop EPHEMERAL_TEMP_VM getting deleted. 

But, the above step should be done before the timeout happens. If you get to notice that it is looping on any existing phase. But timing this (stopping the service) requires little judgement on how fast the cluster creation happen.

0 Kudos
ymo1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just a quick reminder. If you need to stop the CSE service vApp, please use Power On, force recustomization to restart the VM inside CSE service vApp. OtherWise, the vcd-ke server wouldn't restart. (Please feel free to use systemctl status cse to check whether CSE server is alive).

0 Kudos
ccalvetbeta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately if I stop CSE service too early, maybe the task that trigger the issue will not be executed in the VM making the VM useless for troubleshooting.
This future feature is really a must have for the GA,

jleavers1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, troubleshooting is much more difficult without the equivalent to rollbackOnFailure: false.

0 Kudos