VMware Cloud Community
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

what alert do I get if a vcenter goes down

I have 4 linked vcenters and vrops is collecting alerts for them...  I've pretty much got all the alerts I need for us to go to production other than... what alert would I get if a vcenter goes down?  I can't seem to find anything.  With 4 linked vcenters, the other ones will obviously know if one is down...  but I can't find anything in the 900some alerts.

Thanks

Bill Dossett
0 Kudos
6 Replies
sunvmware1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @billdossett 

If a problem occurs, general alerts and notifications are generated.

Alerts in vCenter ServerAlert Description
Passive Node is DownTriggered when the vCenter passive node is down.
vCenter HA health is degradedTriggered when the vCenter HA health is degraded.
vCenter License is OverusedTriggered when the vCenter license is overused.
vCenter NTP Status is Failed/DownTriggered when the NTP server of the vCenter is down or has failed.
vCenter Backup Job failedTriggered when the backup job of vCenter has failed.
vCenter Server is DownTriggered when the vCenter Server is down.
Services are down in vCenter ServerTriggered when the service of the vCenter Server is not running or is down.
External PSC is DownTriggered when the external PSC VM of vCenter Server is down.
Witness Host Node is Down.Triggered when the vCenter witness host node is down.

Notification in vCenter ServerNotification Symptoms
SDDC Availability NotificationUnable to retrieve the list of services (Guest Auth Failed). vCenter might be DOWN or some of the Critical services are not running.
The SDDC Config NotificationvCenter OS Credentials Missing, Services might not be discovered for this vCenter. Configure the VC HOST OS Credential in Inventory Explorer.
SDDC Availability NotificationSome of the vCenter Services is either not running or not healthy on vCenter <vCenterName> and the Service name is <serviceName>.
SDDC Availability NotificationHost has lost connection to vCenter Server for <Host IP>.
SDDC Config NotificationvCenter OS VM Tools Version is below 10.1.

------------

If the Answer is helpful, please click "Mark as Correct Answer", this can be beneficial to other community members.

0 Kudos
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

thanks, but I am not seeing those alerts... or even those alert definitions in vROPs.  From what I googled I thought an SDDC alert would be what I am looking for, but I am not seeing those in vROPs.  We are on vROPS 8.6.  This version seems to differ from documents I find that say I need to install an sddc management pack - but I am not seeing that option in this version as far as I can tell.  

Bill Dossett
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
sunvmware1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@billdossett 

1. With the release of vROPS 8.6, creating alert definitions is easier than ever before. With the new addition of being able to configure “Conditions” into the Alert itself, there is not much of a need to create Symptom definitions anymore. One thing to note is that you can still combine conditions and symptoms into the same alert definition. In this guide I will create a sample alert definition using this new feature.

https://www.vmignite.com/2021/10/vrops-8-6-how-to-create-alert-definitions-using-conditions/

2. Release Notes for vRealize Operations Management Packs

https://docs.vmware.com/en/Management-Packs-for-vRealize-Operations/services/rn/release-notes-for-vr...

0 Kudos
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks, I am good with creating alerts... but... now I have installed the SDDC Health Monitoring managment pack... when I look at the content of that pack and the alerts... the alert I want to use is there... however that alert does not seem to be populated into the vROPs configure -> alert definitions so that I can add it to a notification...  I seem to be missing a part here?

Bill Dossett
0 Kudos
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hmm, now it appears the alert I needed is there...  but not where I expected to find it or the name is different - I guess... I thought it would be prefixed with sddc - as it comes from that adapter, but apparently it does not.  Think I am good now.

Bill Dossett
sunvmware1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@billdossett 

Thanks for your update, it's my pleasure to help in VMware forum.

If the Answer is helpful, please click "Mark as Correct Answer", this can be beneficial to other community members.

0 Kudos