VMware Cloud Community
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vROPs alerts being sent from alerts with no notification set

This is pretty weird.  I've been working on sending alerts from vROPs to our enterprise monitoring framework using a webhook.

while doing this, I setup postman as a reverse proxy and set the proxy on my outgoing instance in vROPs and I could then see the notifications coming out of vROPs...  I did this as originally my notifications were not getting to my monitoring system.  Using postman as reverse proxy I could see the problem with the request - I had configure the URL in both the outgoing instance and in the payload header and the result was they got concatenated.  So great I fixed that.

Now that I have my great tool, the problem is that I am getting a bunch of other alerts, nothing to do with my alert.  And these alerts have no Notification configured for them....  sooooo  my question is:  why am I getting notifications from alerts that have no notification assigned to the alert?  

Bill Dossett
0 Kudos
2 Replies
szafa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @billdossett 

Are you able choose  between notification that you set? I can't see them and seams that vrops use just one of those rule to trigger alerts.

I have created 3 notifications rule but when I go to alert definition it say "You have no notification rules with notification
triggers defined by alert definition.". Alerts are sent so one of the rule is used 

szafa_0-1662101624770.pngszafa_1-1662101643532.png

I'm going to open VMware case

Will update you if I'll get any update on it

0 Kudos
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

so, you need to change the notifications that you get inside the notification...  while making this  as flexible and configurable as possible, vmware has also made it quite complex as things can be done in multiple places...  so in the notification -> alert Scope -> category -> alert definition (what I used) and then specify the alerts you want, by their definition...  

billdossett_0-1662560869782.png

Bill Dossett
Tags (1)
0 Kudos