VMware Cloud Community
ejolaus
Contributor
Contributor

vCops for network monitoring?

Hi there,

I got recently vCenter Operations Manager and I am playing a little bit around with it. I was wondering if there is any plugin to monitor also the network that the storage and the hosts are connected to (switches, fabrics, etc.).

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
eran23
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

to be able to do a Monitoring of Network Devices you can choose 2 option :

1. have a networking monitoring tool like Solarwind or NNM and build a custom Adapter to pull the data.

2. Build a SNMP Adapter to pull the info from the Network Devices.

Thanks

Eran

mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

If you have EMC Storage, there are adapters to put that info into vCops.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
ejolaus
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

When you say "build" a custom Adapter you mean to programme it? Have you done it before? I am wondering how difficult it is.

0 Kudos
ejolaus
Contributor
Contributor

mcowger,

I am having a look into the Symmetrix Adapter and it seems that it provides only the info that Solutions Enabler does. As far as I know, the SE does not provide info about network devices in the SAN, only the Symmetrix performance information (.ttp file).

0 Kudos
eran23
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

no , there is an snmp adapter that you can use , you just need to configure it to pull the data from the network switches,

i configure this adapter more then a few time,

Thanks

Eran

0 Kudos
ejolaus
Contributor
Contributor

Ah! Ok. Sounds good.

And how does the info look like on vCops later on? Can you select more graphs/metrics?

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This user, ,  has posted nearly similar advertisements on many different VMware areas within a few day period. It is obvious that this user is marketing for another product.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
joeshestak
Contributor
Contributor

I am not promoting any services or product. Just explaining my experience. I posted comments in appropriate questions.

0 Kudos