VMware Cloud Community
virtualfng
Contributor
Contributor

vCOPS Script errors when using vSphere Client Plugin?

I'm having a strage issue with vCOPS Foundation both version 5.6 and 5.7, three separate installs, and each one getting a similiar error.  When I access vCOPS plugin from vCenter and acess the "World" view, I select a badge for an item that may be red..etc, and drill down into that specific item.  In this case it's a Datastore.  Sometimes, i'll immediately get this error when I do that or if I drill down further into the object and maybe select another badge etc:

vcopserror.jpg

My immediate reaction was to look at the debugging options in IE as well as Java and they are both turned off. 

Background:

vSphere 5.1 Latest build

vCOPS Foundation 5.6 or 5.7 Happens on both

Clients: accessed from different machines on different installs results in the same issue.  I have two new installs at customer sites with 5.7 both having the same issue.  Both have IE9 and Java 7.

Any ideas here, i'm kinda stuck on this one.  I even defaulted my IE instance back to default...same issue.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Alexander_Dimi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you see the issue if you access VCOps from a standalone IE instead of from the embedded IE in vSphere Client?

Also did you try to clean the IE cache?

0 Kudos
virtualfng
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that's what's odd, when I access it directly outside fo the vSphere client via IE, it works fine with no scripting errors.  I also reset and deleted my IE cache..same issues.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi virtualfng,

those script errors are known issue, when vCenter Operations Manager is used from within vi-client.

Using standalone browser to access the UI is preferred way to use the software.

Firefox or Chrome browser offer the best user-expirience at the moment.

thanks!

0 Kudos
Lost_Steak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same problem, but the say "just use it in IE" is rubbish. What is the point of integrating these products if you can't use them in an integrated fashion?

Does anyone know if there is a KB for this issue or a bug report so I can pass it on to the relevent people?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Lost_Steak,

as pointed above there is no clear solution to this problem, as it's not in vc_ops per se.

Using the product with a standalone browsers (Firefox, Chrome, or even IE) offers the best expirience.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
NateJones44
Contributor
Contributor

I had originally added my vCops UI IP to the Local Intranet zone on my vCenter server's IE10.  I removed it from the Local Intranet zone and added it to the Trusted Sites zone and now I no longer get the script errors when accessing vCops from within the vSphere client.  I seem to think this is because the Local Intranet zone does not allow Java scripts to be run from the "Local Machine".  Im assuming the way the vSphere client utilizes the integrated vCops UI through Solutions and Applications, IE thinks its "Local" on the vCenter server, so it imposes the Java scripting security.

Using vSphere 5.1, vCops Foundation 5.7, Windows 2008R2 Enterprise, IE10 with Protected Mode disabled.

0 Kudos
GET_SOME
Contributor
Contributor

This thread has been quiet for 6+ months but I just fixed the same scripting error issue on my vSphere Client version 5.1 w/ vCenter Operations Manager version 5.6 by uninstalling the Internet Explorer 11 update.  Rolling it back to IE 10 fixed the issue.  VMware had me try clearing my cache in IE but that didn't work...so I got a bigger hammer. :smileysilly:

0 Kudos