VMware Cloud Community
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCOPS Planning menu

Hi all,

I have several problems to interpret the data in the Summary view, under the menu item Planning. I tried to see the online help and documentation, but I do not understand how to interpret the values​​.

Would someone be so kind as to explain how to "read" them (perhaps starting with a screenshot).

I would like to take full advantage of this tool to understand the "suggestions" that vCOPS me

Thank you all!!!

Matrix

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Matrix, these are good questions.

The first question is: Deployed shows the estimated VM and Host that will be released in the expected period (in the example, Next Yard = 39 VMs tells me that next year I will have created another 39 VMs?)

- Correct, this is a forecast based on the amount of VM growth the capacity analysis has observed for your environment.  It is only a forecast, of course you could have a one-off project that adds 20 VMs in addition to your usual growth.  But understanding your "business as usual" growth helps because that is typically not accounted for in planning, in my experience.

The view remaining tells me, however, how many VM and Host I can add according to estimates by vCOPS before it reaches the limit? In the example, then, I read Next Year sel = 3.5 HOSTS vCOPS tells me that I can add at most another 3.5 hosts before reaching my limit?

- The remaining shows you capacity remaining within the CURRENT footprint, based on an average VM in your environment.  So, it shows you how many VMs you can add, but the host information is remaining capacity for those average VMs.  It is not telling you how many hosts you can add, only how many VMs can be supported and what the effective host capacity is based on the deployment trend.  Think about it this way, not only is it good to know how many VMs I can add, but it is also good to know how much host capacity I have for things like HA or a maintenance window.

Last question on this panel: from the moment you start the tool (Current quarter), next year I will then add 4.3 + 4 + 3.5 hosts with no problems?

- Again, the tool is not advising on how many hosts to add in this view.  It is telling you that if you do not add hosts, then based on your VM deployment trend and the average VM, you will have 4.3, then 4 and then 3.5 host capacity remaining.

If you want to understand the impact of adding a host, or VMs for that matter, this is where you would use the "What If Scenario" tool.

Thank you and really sorry for all these questions.

As I said, these are good questions so no worries! Smiley Happy

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Matrix, I was going to attempt to explain, but looking at the online help (in version 5.7.1) it is very clearly written.  What part of the summary is not clear to you?  I can try and help explain specific items.

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HI,

first of all thank you very much for your help.

For now, I dwell only on the panel objects. Here we have two possible views: Deployed and remaining.

Figura055.jpg

Figura056.jpg

The first question is: Deployed shows the estimated VM and Host that will be released in the expected period (in the example, Next Yard = 39 VMs tells me that next year I will have created another 39 VMs?)

The view remaining tells me, however, how many VM and Host I can add according to estimates by vCOPS before it reaches the limit? In the example, then, I read Next Year sel = 3.5 HOSTS vCOPS tells me that I can add at most another 3.5 hosts before reaching my limit?

Last question on this panel: from the moment you start the tool (Current quarter), next year I will then add 4.3 + 4 + 3.5 hosts with no problems?

Matrix

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Matrix, these are good questions.

- Correct, this is a forecast based on the amount of VM growth the capacity analysis has observed for your environment.  It is only a forecast, of course you could have a one-off project that adds 20 VMs in addition to your usual growth.  But understanding your "business as usual" growth helps because that is typically not accounted for in planning, in my experience.

- The remaining shows you capacity remaining within the CURRENT footprint, based on an average VM in your environment.  So, it shows you how many VMs you can add, but the host information is remaining capacity for those average VMs.  It is not telling you how many hosts you can add, only how many VMs can be supported and what the effective host capacity is based on the deployment trend.  Think about it this way, not only is it good to know how many VMs I can add, but it is also good to know how much host capacity I have for things like HA or a maintenance window.

- Again, the tool is not advising on how many hosts to add in this view.  It is telling you that if you do not add hosts, then based on your VM deployment trend and the average VM, you will have 4.3, then 4 and then 3.5 host capacity remaining.

If you want to understand the impact of adding a host, or VMs for that matter, this is where you would use the "What If Scenario" tool.

As I said, these are good questions so no worries! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you a lot!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow I will send you others questions on this "view" of vCOPS.

For now: you have been very helpful and knowledgeable!!

Matrix

Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Excuse me...

Taking a look at this situation, I assume that next year I will have no chance to even create a VM, despite having 1, 2 Hosts as capacity remaining. It is not wrong? That is: if I understand what you wrote, how is it that despite rimanaining next year 1.2 hosts, such as capacity, I can not create any new VM?

I ask you again apologize. I swear it's the last question of the day😉Figura057.jpg

Matrix

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are you using HA or buffer settings in the policy for this object?

0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

yes. I have this option checked unde Usable capacity, but for Capacity and time remaining I have Physical capacity checked.

Thank you a lot for your patience.

Matrix

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Can you show me the Resources table from the same Summary page?  Host capacity remaining is not as comprehensive as VM remaining - for example you could have a disk space constraint that impacts the VM remaining but does not reduce the host remaining.  In the balance, I would rely more heavily on the VM remaining than the host remaining - the VM remaining is much more meaningful for planning purposes.

Message was edited by: jddias

Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have created a Word document with the most important screenshots. The tables in this panel are incomprehensible to me. Can you help me understand how I interpret them and correlate these informations with the Objects panel?

I think you are e very good person, because you have a lot of patience! THANK YOU!!!!

Matrix

0 Kudos